Surface lures for yellow fin whiting

Tried some surface lures for yellows this arvo on the flats at whyalla hooked one but got off. Had heaps of follows but not many ate it. Tried a small walk the dog lure found it hard to get a good walk action any help. Read somewhere that if you use a small amount of stiff mono it is easier is this the case

I find that a bit shorter leader does help with getting the lure to walk the dog.With have the yfw following but not taking the lure when you see them behind try speeding the lure up a little it seems to make them want to hit it more.My favourite surface lure is the bassday sugapen 70mm in orange ;) have also had good results with Berkley 3b prawn dog

Agree with Kuerschie about using mono in preference to fluorocarbon. Fluro tends to sink and pull the nose of the lures under, where as mono allows them to skip across the surface better. I don't bother with loop knots for surface fishing, just tie straight onto 4lb mono. OK to use bigger lures to 70mm especially if the surface is chopped up by wind (Sugar pens are excellent for this), ecogears and 3B scum dogs when it's calm. I use prawn type colours and patterns in summer, but it pays to understand what the whiting are chasing in any given location and try and match lure colours. If the whiting are about in numbers and feeding, a straight retrieve is often all that's needed and competition will see them smack lures straight away. Often though, you will need to work the lure to attract their interest, particularly if they are spread out. If you get follows but they are not committing, then it's a case of mixing up retrieve speeds and amount of lure action to find the trigger.

• 1 month later...