Circle Hooks and Cockles

Hi all,I generally use circle hooks when fishing for whiting and squid strips or cockles for bait.My question is does anyone ever have trouble losing cockles on circle hooks? When the fish are smaller or picky maybe? I know with squid they suck them and end up with a hook in their mouthes but with cockles seem to suck them straight off? Maybe I should use normal hooks when the whiting are like this so I can strike? When they're aggressive and striking hard it doesn't seem so bad.Any thoughts appreciated. Have a heap of cockles in the freezer from a recent weekend in Middleton but don't really like feeding them all to the metro whiting ;) CheersDan C

I usually cocktail whiting baits with circles. Double pin the Cockle and then and single pin on the tip of the circle a squid strip. That way they get the cockle smell and taste but because of the toughness of the squid thye 'usually' can't get it off and if they do. They have a reason to come back again.Cheers TT

I usually cocktail whiting baits with circles. Double pin the Cockle and then and single pin on the tip of the circle a squid strip. That way they get the cockle smell and taste but because of the toughness of the squid thye 'usually' can't get it off and if they do. They have a reason to come back again.Cheers TT

I like that idea. I think I'll try it.

I like that idea. I think I'll try it.
Me too! Cheers TT! :)
Just a quicky regarding circle hooks lads' date='in the smaller sizes ie 4s 6s ect which brands are the go ,which are good strong ones .Cheers B)[/quote']Back wall at SFS Cal. King Neptune size 6, 3 x strength, chem sharp circles. 30 hooks for 3 bucks. Used the bigger ones on whiting etc. Work well, nothing wrong with 'em.