finally found the worms but...

after quite a while trying locate worms I've found me a good spot. I used the ole stinkbag method and seen them poke their heads out of their tubes. I put a tentacle near to them to entice them out and grab onto it. the problem is after they grab it and I try to put my other hand in the sand they immediately let go and retreat. it seems like its impossible to be quicker than the worm. what am I doing wrong on youtube videos it looks so easy they just pull the worm out without any trouble. but on the videos they somehow pull them up without the tube. so do I even have the right worms? they are the ones that you buy in ray annes that come wrapped in newspaper in tubes. are these tube or bloodworms or beachworms? I'm so gaily confused :S , please a little bit of help or advice???

As explained, you're buying tube worms but trying to catch beachworms...totally different.Those who know how to successfully harvest beach worms DO make it look very simple, while rest of us get completely frustrated by it and cant pull a single worm.Like everything, it comes down to practice and technique.Leave the bait in front of the worm, until it rises from the sand and arches it's back. THEN it's time to grab hold and pull in one smooth movement.You will miss heaps, you'll pull the heads off some, then one day it will all come together for you!Me, I just buy my worms, coz I'm hopeless!There's another worm that lives in the dead seaweed if pulling beachworms isn't coming together for you, so turn over all the dead seaweed on the beach and have a quick look underneath.

• 3 weeks later...

first post got :c, was meant to say $bloody# didn't realise it's a swear word, lol.i'm still confused how to tell between beach, blood and tube worms. how do I know which one to use the manual method on, the ones which don't live in tubes correct? does the manual method work when they live in the tubes or do I use the pump on the tubes? I reckon i've tried pumping out the tubes and it didn't really work. also I don't care which type of worm as they all seem to work really well as bait I'd be happy with any type of worm. i've tried looking in piles of seaweed for seaweed worms but never seen any. it's a bit frustrating that people are so secretive about this, I avoid fishing for whiting altogether because buying worms is too uneconomical

Tube worms are dug out of the mud with a shovel. You will see the tube opening, and dig down to take the lot....tube and all.Bloodworms live in the mangroves, generally caught with a net during the annual winter bloodworm run....look similar to tubeworms although more reddish than brown/black.The ones you are finding in the sand are beach worms. These are the little buggers which are incredibly difficult to catch and pull out of the sand.Pumps are best for clickers, yabbies/shrimp not worms. Clickers also make a very good bait if you can find them.

i only collect the seaweed/beach worms.these look like little tiger worms, but white. they live at the base off seaweed. they feed on the decomposing material. when you pull back to lose dry weed you will see that there is a "mat like" layer of munched up seaweed. this is where the worms will live, or a few inches below in the sand. i hope this helps.