Need help with soft plastics.

Hey guys, just after some advice on soft plastics. I have been using them for quite a few months now and am yet to yield anything. Starting to think that my technique is wrong. Usually just cast it out with slow retrieve, though have tried flicking the lure every now and then. Mostly after some reds. Is my technique wrong or will persistence pay off?Cheers, S121.

There's a lot to be said for "Fish slow then fish slower again" as the saying goes, the best fish I've caught on plastics have all been caught on the slowest possible retrieve with a good healthy rod rattle every now and again, and on dirty looking brown plastics with the lightest possible jig head. Just my experiance with SP's,

Hey guys' date=' just after some advice on soft plastics. I have been using them for quite a few months now and am yet to yield anything. Starting to think that my technique is wrong. Usually just cast it out with slow retrieve, though have tried flicking the lure every now and then. Mostly after some reds. Is my technique wrong or will persistence pay off?Cheers, S121.[/quote']Without being a smart :c ...are you fishing them when the reds are definitely around? I've only ever really caught them when I know they're on the chew as they're taking baits as well. When they're in the mood it doesn't seem to matter what you chuck down as long as it gets in their strike zone! I guess it's a lot harder when they're a bit more tentative!Dan C

The biggest redfin I've caught was when I'd stopped all together and went to grab a beer. I've found they'll grab it when it's not moving it all, so do a few hops to get some attention then let it play dead for a few seconds and see if that helps. Feels real good getting your first fish on an SP, once you pop that cherry then it starts gettin fun!

The biggest redfin I've caught was when I'd stopped all together and went to grab a beer. I've found they'll grab it when it's not moving it all' date=' so do a few hops to get some attention then let it play dead for a few seconds and see if that helps. Feels real good getting your first fish on an SP, once you pop that cherry then it starts gettin fun![/quote']I;m not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure they are talking about snapper, but still good advice mate!

Totally true Dan, "prospecting" can be a real confidence basher, I'm not a dedicated plastics guy out of my boat, so I'll only really put one down once I've had a few runs and I know there's a few lurking around the trail. I'd love to get one on a vibe- $60 dollars worth of psychodelic japanese delights later I'm still trying to pop that cherry!

I'm also in the camp of not having caught anything on SP's. I've had some snook grab the tail and run but no actual hookups. They're a fun and accessible way to fish, especially with beginners that are funny about touching bait!Only issue I've ever really had with them is that you need super thin mono or thin braid to get any kind of casting distance with the smaller SP's; so i never really get many chances to use them. :(

Nailed pleanty of salt water fish on soft plastics but never once landed a fresh water fish on plastics, infact last night I spent 2 hours chasing fresh water critters. Tend to think this is because there was nothing around and my spots are rather crappy!Is the retrieve and action performed in freshwater the same as what you would use when chasing bream?? Sounds like it anyway?

I am also feeling this frustration with the SP's over the last couple of months, ia have managed to have a couple of bream that were not much bigger than the lure grab on but in general I am finding fishing SP frustrating as he'll, not to mention eating up my downloads as I scoure YouTube and the Internet for technuique and advice!! :(