mulloway beach fishing

Mate,Some people say that you should have no light showing and even no generators. Whilst I think that this is a bit extreme it cannot hurt. The dudes that recommend such measures seem to catch a lot of fish though. What I do is not to shine any light directly onto the water. I often sit on my chair next to my rod reading my kindle with the light or a book with my headlamp.When you could get onto the wharf at outer harbour we used to use tilley lamps suspended just above the water and a fine mesh net to catch live pillies and squid. These would go sraight down underneath the light to catch mulloway. Didn't matter then but I suppose with all the artificial light about the fish got used to or expected it?

I think it depends on the night, if its a bright night (ie lots of moon) then its not as much of an issue. But on dark nights around the new moon I think it would be more of an issue as the mullys can be quite close in and can be spooked. Regardless of whether its a dark night or not I think you should minimise on the lights close to the water. Definitely on shining them around in the water. A small light up by your gear should be ok. Generally I just use a headlamp though and try to minimise shining the light on the water.