Remove the split ring?

I'm a bit of a novice for fishing with HB's, but am going to give it a fair go soon, just wondering do most people tie their loop knot straight through the split ring or do you remove the split ring and tie it direct to the front of the lure?I'm going to try and terrorize a few bream... :icon_e_wink: That's the idea anyway ;D size=1600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/v7Fauitc__DSC00301.JPG[/img]

I remove the split ring and tie a loop directly to to tow point. It does not happen often but is is possible for a loop knot to work its way out of a split ring (ive done it a few times). Also a loop will get caught on the ring and cause the lure to swim incorrectly. Id suggest removing split rings whether going with a loop or a clip! (except on blades which may have a sharp finish) ;)

• 2 months later...

Howdy there fellow fisher people,I'm new to the site and to the lure fishing game, and unlike the fish, I've easily been hooked. Borrowed a work mates lure and had a some fun with it, and caught 1 bream (undersize), but seemed like an appealing way to fish. After suffering from an early warning form of heart attack last week (i'm 34 yrs old :icon_e_surprised:) I deciced to change my lifestyle (well my body told me too). Anyway went and bought a rod, nothin flash, and an abu garcia spin reel (BigW) and then headed down to Anglerschoice on beach rd to buy a lure and start the onslaught of collecting lures. Thanks to Mark 'Waterboy' Mills for the chat and pointing me to this site, and the bits of advice given, he managed to sell me a Yo-Zuri mag minnow, so will give it a try and will definitely be headin back to the shop for more...Thanks Waterboy !Enuff of my rambling, just wanted to know the best way to attach lures to the leader, but it appears that this thread answered my question. So i figured i'd post here and intro myself (couldnt find an intro thread), and hopefully in the coming wks, I can post a few fish pics.Happy Fishin,LostraliaN ;D

Howdy there fellow fisher people,I'm new to the site and to the lure fishing game, and unlike the fish, I've easily been hooked. Borrowed a work mates lure and had a some fun with it, and caught 1 bream (undersize), but seemed like an appealing way to fish. After suffering from an early warning form of heart attack last week (i'm 34 yrs old :icon_e_surprised:) I deciced to change my lifestyle (well my body told me too). Anyway went and bought a rod, nothin flash, and an abu garcia spin reel (BigW) and then headed down to Anglerschoice on beach rd to buy a lure and start the onslaught of collecting lures. Thanks to Mark 'Waterboy' Mills for the chat and pointing me to this site, and the bits of advice given, he managed to sell me a Yo-Zuri mag minnow, so will give it a try and will definitely be headin back to the shop for more...Thanks Waterboy !Enuff of my rambling, just wanted to know the best way to attach lures to the leader, but it appears that this thread answered my question. So i figured i'd post here and intro myself (couldnt find an intro thread), and hopefully in the coming wks, I can post a few fish pics.Happy Fishin,LostraliaN ;D

Welcome to the site mate ;D good luck with it all, if you put in the hours and learn the techniques etc you will be bound to succeed. Keep us posted ;)