Need a Shrimp/ Yabbie net

Hey guys, got a weekend up the river at Mannum planned in a few weeks time, I really want to catch a few Shrimp to use for fresh bait. Only problem is I have no idea what to use for nets. Seen these in Ray's and they seem great value at 4 for $25, but do they work for Shrimp? Whats the difference between Shrimp and Yabbie nets, and what to look for in each? http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Wild-Country-Opera-House-Yabbie-Net.aspx?pid=236218#Combo

Use the Rays Outdoors nets for the yabbies, using either meat or dried dog food to attract the yabbies.If Rays don't have shrimp pots, try your local tackle store. Shrimp pots are usually wire or solid plastic construction and are smaller than yabby nets.Use soap in the shrimp pots to attract the shrimp.You should be able to get a decent shrimp pot for less than $15You will still catch shrimp in the yabby nets, but most will fall through the holes.Check the regulations, but I usually use 2 yabby nets and 2 shrimp pots with 2 fishing rods per person when fishing up the River.Hope this helps,Steve :boot:

Bar of soap works a treat for shrimp.I don't know exactly why, but for some reason it attracts shrimp, as well as yabbies.I have been using soap for over 30 years to catch my shrimp, and I guarantee it works.Best soap is the Velvet brand soap.And those collapsible shrimp nets work just as well, though when I used to have one it kept getting snagged up and ripping, especially when dropped in amongst snags.

Agree with yabb & others with shrimp net. I always have a container of dog pellets in tinny for backup if I don't have fresh bait. The opera house net is best for yabbies, just make sure it has the steel rings at the inner end of the entrance funnels (keeps the turtles out). Not legal without the rings. Info here http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/113743/freshwater2011.pdfYears ago anglers used all sorts of vessels (like old grape dipping buckets)with holes in it with a bunch of gum leaves and a cake of velvet soap submerged at the river's edge to catch shrimp.

Soap works fine because of its raw ingredients, basically made from fat, sounds strange that you can clean yourself with something like that.I second Coogan's post, my old man always had a 'Shrimp Tin', just a large tin with holes in it and a string tied to it.The handy thing with those collapsible traps is that they basically fold flat for storage.