I had purchased previously a few books on fish for my trips up north. One was AHNs fish guide. I never thought I needed or wanted one for SA. That is until my wife gave me "Swainston's Fishes of Australia" for Christmas three years ago. Fantastic book but expensive I believe at $140 - 170. Until I got this book I had been cursing these unknown spiky fish with evil gill rakers that kept taking my mulloway baits on whilst near reef on the FWC. Easily ID in the book as Eastern Fortescues. Good book to have on the coffee table for the rest of your life and meets what you need from it.

A few years back my old man gave me a South Australian almanac, not a pocket size one tho, a proper book. reckon it was AFC brand? May have seen them in Kmart?anyway, apart from being an almanac and having space to use it as a diary, it had sections on most popular local species , habitats, locations and techniques.Was only cheap, maybe $20-$30?

books are ok I guess but somehow they do not and I suppose can not cover all aspects of every fishing situation wether it be bait , line or area, but THEY do have their place and most of the information contained within the comes from some old character that's been fishing a certain area for donkeys years and knows every inch of that area. I guess what I am trying to say is were ever you go just ask a local and they will usually set you on the right path for catching a feed.Keith Martin used to have an almanac put out each year if that helps, contained tides, charts and whether maps and other fishing spots around Sth Aus.

Shane & Brett Mensforth published "Baits' date=' Rigs & Lures for South Australian Fishing" back in 2010 (I think it is still available). It has a lot of good information on most of the commonly-targeted SA species.[/quote']Not an overly inclusive species list but the main ones are there and a great starting point. Worth noting the publication was sponsered so much of the recommended tackle is of the sponsers. Not that there's anyting wrong with Mustad!The Mensforths also put out "Fishing Guide to South Austalia" around the same time, again a great starting point if fishing a new area somewhere else in the state.Greg James does a "Fishing Guide and Almanac" plus a few others. Ive never looked at them but they look reasonably priced and should be at most local tackle outlets.

Like you said the internet is a great source for the info you want, but it is nice to have it in print format as well.Don't overlook magazines, both SA specific mags have good articles covering what you want. SA Angler did a series of articles a few years ago they called "Master Class " and each one focused on a different species. They covered just about every type of saltwater fish that anglers target. Back issues aren't usually too hard to come by.