Rods that are overhead and spin ?

As a general rule most rod blanks have a backbone & was more pronounced on older fibreglass jobs & a good rod builder would find the backbone & build the rod accordingly so if you had the backbone say 180 degrees out this would make the rod want to roll in your hands. I do recall some blanks when i was rod building having two backbones but i would chose the more aggresive one as the central spine to build the rod. 

I must admit that back then i used to check any rod or blank i was about to purchase for a good backbone placement luckily i had access to suppliers ware houses & could go through & pick the best one out.

These days with better manufacturing processes the backbone issue is just about non existant so a rod could be made for spin or baitcast with out to much difficulty but your mates might laugh at you.  :)

Silstar powertip rods have/had a couple of rods in the range that could be used for spin or overhead the only factor stopping some rod blanks being used for both types of reels would be the taper ie slow taper blanks are not ideal for overhead use.

you would still need a larger stripping guide for the spin reel application but in saying that because the rod needs more smaller guides to supplement the overhead (to reduce or stop line touching the blank) would reduce its effective casting range when the spinning reel was used on the rod.

I personally prefer a rod built  correctly for 1 style of reel to utilize the effectiveness of the blank & I guess to answer your question no building a rod for both style of reels on 1 blank would not harm the blank.