Salmon on squidgies

hey guys i have been out fishing tday in the onk and it was packed with some very nice salmon and i was using a squidgy wrigler and my usaul technique is lettin it sick to the bottom then jiggin it up but i was fiddling roundwith a couple of new thechniques and i found if u cast the lure out then give it a bit of a quik wing so it is stayin at about 5cm under the surface i was nailin a salmon a minute wat r your thoughts abt this techniques

Hey softies, welcome to the site mate ;) nice to have you on board.Sounds like you had a good session down there today. Good effort :)I always like to put a few twitches into my SP action. The salmon always like to hit a moving bait too so is prob a good ploy if you knew the salmon were about - it obviously worked for you & salmon def like to take bait from up top! Great job!

hey guys i have been out fishing tday in the onk and it was packed with some very nice salmon and i was using a squidgy wrigler and my usaul technique is lettin it sick to the bottom then jiggin it up but i was fiddling roundwith a couple of new thechniques and i found if u cast the lure out then give it a bit of a quik wing so it is stayin at about 5cm under the surface i was nailin a salmon a minute wat r your thoughts abt this techniques

Hi Softies.......... can I say welcome to the site .....then I hate you in one sentence???I was lazy today so I went onto Aldinga beach - no luck and then on to Moana Beach - no luck again :-[Then you go and bag Salmon in the Onk! :( :(Ta for the tips though :-X

Hi Softies.......... can I say welcome to the site .....then I hate you in one sentence???I was lazy today so I went onto Aldinga beach - no luck and then on to Moana Beach - no luck again :-[Then you go and bag Salmon in the Onk! :( :(Ta for the tips though :-X
Ah, another Aldinga Beach fisho hey? ;) I thought I was the only one who fished there! Gorgeous spot!Haven't taken the tinny out for a while tho, the school must've moved - unlucky mate

Hi Softies.......... can I say welcome to the site .....then I hate you in one sentence???I was lazy today so I went onto Aldinga beach - no luck and then on to Moana Beach - no luck again :-[Then you go and bag Salmon in the Onk! :( :(Ta for the tips though :-XAh, another Aldinga Beach fisho hey? ;) I thought I was the only one who fished there! Gorgeous spot!Haven't taken the tinny out for a while tho, the school must've moved - unlucky mateI was halfway down towards the no car poles - looked a decent spot.It is a nice spot - don't mind Moana Beach either when it's quiet.

Any technique that works is a good technique!I've found salmon are pack animals so their keen to hit anything before their mates get to it first, and they really destroy plastics.Because of this I normally use anything laying in the tacklebag I dont normally keep aside for bream and I use quite a fast retreive coz the movement attracts them and they enjoy giving chase.I've found the stick minnows really effective and although they'll hit virtually anything, white seems to be a good colour for salmon.

• 1 month later...

i reckon salmon take it about 5cm from the top alsobut id say they will take anything that moves or that resembles a fish haha.my nan used to catch them with a bit of white cotton on a hook!

The Australian Salmon is a real eating machine and will try to eat almost any thing .The Kiwi's use some alfoil on a hook and they recon that works well . I was using the other day some soft plastic's in the shape of small octopus . These lures bounced over the top of the water and we where catching fish with every pass . I reconn that poppers would work well too .cheers BB
  • 3 weeks later...

:icon_idea: Sometimes it can be the simplest things that get results too. :icon_idea:It is not that I am cheap, but I find this really works. ;)Cut yourself a piece of clear plastic aquarium tubing about 5cm long and place it above ganged hooks.On a fast retrieve or while trolling, it looks like a baitfish skimming the water and generally gets hammered.Not only works for salmon, have caught snook and other species as well using it.Give it a go and let me know how you get on.You will never be short of a lure again!!! Tight Lines! :fishing:[glow=red,2,300]See Ya on the River Bank...[/glow]

• 3 months later...