Home made Line Spooler

With a crappy morning weather wise, I decided to get productive, and whip up a line spooler.The YoBBeTTe and Jr complain about sore hands when I get them to hold the spool. ;DI gathered up some scrap steel and found the size bolt I needed.Firstly I drilled a hole through the tube to fit the bolt.Cut the steel to the required size.Welded it all up.Quick coat of paint, and done.The tension on the spool can be adjusted to whatever I need it to be. size=1395http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Q381m9Zn__line_spooler_001.jpg[/img] size=1744http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/OQO9j1lr__line_spooler_002.jpg[/img] size=1744http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/EO3N76Uj__line_spooler_003.jpg[/img] size=1744http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/MU95QPhk__line_spooler_004.jpg[/img]

good job....now if i can only find a way to spool an alvey easilt i would be laughing...i jue just a screwdriver shoved through the hole in the spool and then still it blade of the driver in the vice....this way i can apply pressure onto the spool by forcing it against the side of the vice.....helps but the alvey must be wound on level by your fingers....whcih can be a PITA when spooling on 450mtrs...WHICH IM DOING LATER ON TODAY.....

450m on an alvey? Must be using about 80lb! My 650c's hold 750m of 15lb and 600 of 25. But yes i'll agree it is a pain in the arse. Doesn't seem quite so bad when a mulloway has taken all ya line off though, somehow then it seems easy.

i can get 600mt of 25 if i try, but i can only buy 450mtr spools....ive tried the line that comes in 1000 mtr spools, but it doesnt like the rocks much at all.... ive lost some nice fish when they rub the rocks.instant snap.ive tried a fair amount of lines, and so far the best is ALSO the cheapest....$ 4.88 for 450 mtrs from big w....and im not cheap.... it works BETTER for my style of fishing. sure its got a bit of stretch in it, but dont worry me none... its changed at least every 2 mths...sometimes more.have tried braid, and some highly recommended line that was crap IMHO.... it either frays, twists, or just plain snaps at the slightest rub im sick of it...even spent 50 bucks on some 30lb line that i could SNAP with my hands..... aint no way its 30lb line, and its NOT pretest either...and its a very good name brand which i wont mention , because its not worth a mention.that line is now only used for the squid jig....and even then ive lost a few jigs when its rubbed a rock.am open to any suggestions on line that wont fall apart on me.

should also mention i fish 3-5 times a week on these rocks and other rocks.... so the line and gear is getting a good workout....good thing i use an alvey as its maint free, i can drop in dirt,sand,mud, dogshit , give it a rinse off and im good to go again.ive tried spinners and overheads but they dont last the distance the alvey does...can be a PITA not having gears sometimes, but i find the alvey far easier to use, more comfortable to hold and wind ( as its down low) and the drag is simple to use with one finger even while fighting a fish.sometimes the basics are also the best.ive had it almost 20 yrs, it has a big chunk missing from the spool (fell of workbench)but still works a treat.(must get around to a repair job one day)ALVEY ALL THE WAY....

Yeah I know the feeling, spooling up alveys can be an expensive excercise. I've never used braid on an alvey as i am always worried about the way the line slaps against the back of my hand when I cast and laying it back on the spool, even sometimes 20lb line starts to burn the fingers laying it back on, and don't want a cat'o'nine tails effect on the back of my hand.

Yeah I know the feeling, spooling up alveys can be an expensive excercise. I've never used braid on an alvey as i am always worried about the way the line slaps against the back of my hand when I cast and laying it back on the spool, even sometimes 20lb line starts to burn the fingers laying it back on, and don't want a cat'o'nine tails effect on the back of my hand.

yeah....sorry to hijack this thread, braid from the rocks is useless.... one rub on a rock and its history.
  • 2 months later...

Gday Yobbo & all,This may appear to be a silly question, but how does this spooling device go with the theory (of which I must say I am not too familiar or sure about) of sinking your new spool of line in hot water and then winding it onto your reel from there?I've never spooled new line onto a reel after soaking it in hot water before, and I've only heard of this trick since moving to SA from the west, but I must admit: I have now adopted this practice. I can't speak of its strong points or downfalls but it's now part of my ritual. Are there any other opnions regarding similar or better methods out there? Or is the hot water thing just voodoo magic that doesn't work?Anyhow, nice job on the home-made device there Yobbo.Cheers chaps.

• 4 weeks later...

Gday Yobbo & all,This may appear to be a silly question, but how does this spooling device go with the theory (of which I must say I am not too familiar or sure about) of sinking your new spool of line in hot water and then winding it onto your reel from there?I've never spooled new line onto a reel after soaking it in hot water before, and I've only heard of this trick since moving to SA from the west, but I must admit: I have now adopted this practice. I can't speak of its strong points or downfalls but it's now part of my ritual. Are there any other opnions regarding similar or better methods out there? Or is the hot water thing just voodoo magic that doesn't work?Anyhow, nice job on the home-made device there Yobbo.Cheers chaps.

Sand Groper, sorry for the late response. I have never heard of the hot water trick before. Maybe someone could shed some light?

Just wondering YoBBoDoes that work for left handed reels? :icon_e_biggrin:O

It works on left handed reels just fine mate LOL. ;)
Guest AC Hardfronts

I used to soak my spools of line in warm water when respooling a reel.. something to do with the lines memory and the warm water doing something to laying the line on the reel better and stop line twisting.. or something along those lines..

• 2 weeks later...

Put the line in warm water before putting it on the spooler.By the way if the reel is a bit loose on the spooler and if the bolt is long enough, fit a metal washer then a small spring which can fit over the bolt, another washer and the nut.If you find it is to loose, just tighten nut up a little.works on my spooler.

• 1 month later...