Interesting Deepwater Squid Rig

Watching some video's of asian jig fishers and noticed that one of them had a very interesting deep water squid rig setup.

Rig at about the 3 minute mark.

Instead of using extra chin weights, head-cap weights or a paternoster setup for a deeper drop they have attached a small metal jig without any hooks up the line at the swivel. Would double as both an assist weight to get the jig to the bottom and a flasher to send out extra flash to attract squid. There are plenty of times I've been alerted to squid in the vicinity by plugs on my metal lure like a halco twisty so the metallic flash is a definite attraction.

Don't really get out deep enough to target squid with a rig like that but something to keep in mind to try if I do get out there. Anyone try it before?

I was watching ET yesterday and he was fishing wide out of Arno bay in deep water and they were attaching a squid jag to their whiting lines above their hooks. It seemed to be working well with them getting both species on the one outfit. Im  sure it work here too in our gulf. Ive just got to get the boat trailer done so I can get out :lol:

cheers

snapps

Works great out metro, been using something similar to that idea for years, out fishes 3 to 1

All my fish buddies have gone the same way now

Few years back tried a rig similar to paternoster and was bringing up double header squid

In shallow water you could see the squid attacking the sinker as well

Give it try ...youll be surprised at the results