Surgeons knot supercedes Allbright 4 me...

After a good start using the Allbright knot to join 10 lb Braid to 10 lb Fluro carbon, I recently started to have a few failures :thumb:One of these was snagged on a tree and a gentle tug freed it, or so I thought 'til I got back to the car and noticed the braid dangling from the rod tip .hissy. a new bug and spin blade jig gone without getting it wet ::)On another occasion a snag took the fluro carbon/Lure with only the gentlest of tugs (10 lb gear can lift sunken logs with even pressure)By this time my confidence was gone and although I suspect it was probably my tying technique at fault, I was ready for a change ???I used "Scorpions" method of opposing, tucked half blood knots, for a while but found this knot bulky and fairly fiddly to tie :-\Anyway, long story short, the "young heads" came to the rescue witha variation of the "Surgeons dropper loop" which works an absolute charm with the added bonus that the flurocarbon tag end points backwards down the line so that the knot flows freely through the rings when casting 8)The knot is simplicity itself to tie and is quicker than others and impossible to get wrong as long as you lubricate well and snug it down real slow, then firm it well by tugging all the tails 8) :fishing: 8)Simply, put the two tails (Braid and Fluro carbon)side by side, allowing plenty of slack, then tie an ordinary overhand knot 5 times through the same loop 8) 8) 8) Told you it was easy :fishing:A variation of this knot, found in a knot tying book, is to twist the two tails in a spiral around each other, then tie the knot. This is meant too give added strength but I haven't tried it yet as I'm very happy with the way it is now 8) 8) 8) :icon_e_ugeek:Cheers, tonyb.

Good to see you using it Tony. 8)I changed not long after watching the DVD you gave me with Adam Royter. It seemed a lot easier and quicker to tie than the usual albright knot and there has been no going back.Certain had no complaints about strenght either. I have just gone to 6lb braid with 6lb leader and it gives a beautiful small knot.

• 1 month later...

I used to use the Albright knot when fishing for Barra and found that the tag used to flick on the guides and would sometimes let go. A guide suggested I change to the Slim Beauty which is quick and easy with no double required and have not have any problems since.

• 1 month later...

I'm possibly the most unco person I know when it comes to knots...I struggled to teach myself how to tie a kinda albright knot sorta thing...I can't believe this works... Being so simple. Just done it - tested it, and the line broke - not the knot. What a win.Thanks for a great tip Tonyb.