Big overheads without level wind. How hard are they to get used to?

I just got myself a new shark rod and want to get a new reeal to suit it but Im finding that 99.9% of the reels that are suited to it dont have a level wind. All of my fishing with overhead reels has all been done with level wind reels and Im wondering how hard it is to learn to get the line on evenly without a level wind? I have been using a shimano beastmaster 24kg with a big DAM reel spooled with 1000 yds of 50lb braid quite succesfully for years but the DAM has a level wind on it.

its easy to get used to mate and after a few trips you automatically wind it on straight with out thinking about it! so much better than level wind coz the level wind can cross your line and cause it to jame! good luk

The reason for your line crossing and jamming your level wind is.NEVER WIND YOUR LINE THROUGH THE LEVEL WIND

Spot on Addict,great advice,I personally prefer overheads for surf fishing to not have a level wind anyhow.For a couple of reasons,they can get sand in them,you can cast better without them,you have to put the line between your fingers and keep tension when winding slack line anyhow[if its windy and on the beach it always is]bad news winding slack line onto a reel through a level wind.And without it you get a good feel as to whats going on and you control everything.For example if you are using shock leaders you wind the knot on the spool where you want it.I dont mind level winds but prefer without for surf.Cheers

Guest Butters

Another trick that ya could use apart from your thumb guiding the line on.. Slighty roll the reel left to right a few cm's when ya retrieve the line.. it will also spread the line across the spool..Once ya use one a few time you will get it sorted easier than you think..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...I picked up a big overhead without a level wind and we are going to port Augusta to have another crack at the kingies week after next so I'll see how I go. Have to hook one before I'll know how getting the line back on goes. I have it spooled with 800m of 120lb braid.

yea id say the level wind reels is thats no point in 1 for me. not 1 of mi overhead reels have a level wind on them... its really easy to pick up on using ya thumb as the level wind. ;) ;Dmy tip i can give to u obout using ur thumb as a level wind is to make ur way from one side of the spool to the other slowly. not to move ur thumb really qiuk from one side to the other... i see alot of people do this and this puts less line capacity.thanx lloyd