Does anyone know anything about these photos or the story behind them ?[thumb][/thumb][thumb][/thumb]Other than the obvious please.Cheers peelipeeli13 size=597http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Mm7QQQSs__biggest_Murray_Cod_Ever_recorded.jpg[/img] size=599http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/XTS6JUKY__Bigest_Cod_Info.jpg[/img]

have seen thse photos before in the swan reach museum ,i believe from memory there was a post with it, the old fella working there said catches of this size used to be common place and some of the local aboriginees still know where cod of this size can be caught from wat he was saying to me they used to feed a whole tribe fromm one fish. might pay if your ever in that area to stop by i believe it was only gold coin donation and heaps of other interesting stuff to look at to ;)

I have seen those photos before, years ago, a neighbour of ours when we were kids had a place at Mannum, I remember him tell dad once, over a few 'longnecks' that they used to wire a holden hub cap to a hessian bag, put hooks in the hessian and tow that behind a boat, and trawl for the cod.

A holden hubcap image how big the fish would be if you used a whole car. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:I think Ill se if I can hire one of those japanese whaling boats that should do the job.Seriously there are some photos of huge murray cod around I can remember seeing one of two old guys(photo taken early 1900,s) with about 8 huge cod all probably about 100 pounds or more strung out on a wire. Imagine the age of these fish and what a waste as at that size they are not really at there best for eating but they would have been huge breeders.Sadly they will probably never reach that size again. I beleive that over a certain size(say 80cm) they should all be released as they would be better for breeding than eating anyway.Rocket

Gidday all :fishing:Mickyj I recall a book my brother had, writen by an old fishing guy in the 1950s it was called" Murray River Fishing" the part i remember most was where he said "some years ago we used to catch perch bigger than this (some bloke was holding a goldern perch about 25lb) over 50lbs quite often" or words to that effect.would be good fun on light tackle ;)Carps thanks for the info never been to Swan Reach but if i ever do go I will definatly have a look , My brother used to go camping at some Island opposite the cliffs near Nildottie? a few years ago and they allways caught fish cheers peelipeeli13Ospray Ive got plenty of hessian bags but only FORD hub caps do you think it would make much difference ;) Oh what brand of long necks? :icon_lol: Thanks for the reply cheers peeliGidday Rocket , got your PM today and your email I be in touch soon, sounds like you had a good day on crabs and gar,good on yaYou mention old photos of large cod strung up on ropes in large numbers,mate there is a photo in the office at the Motel opposite the Maidens Hotel in Menindee (Darling River)half a dozen blokes packing up camp and about 30 cod of all sizes hanging on the mesh sides of a trailer,Biggest is obout 30lb i would recon ,any way the photo was taken in the 1990s up past Wilcania i think .It makes you sick to look at it,Ill try to get a photo of it to post here.cheers Peelipeeli 13

Hi Folks. :icon_e_geek: Just a bit of trivia FYI.Just thought you may be interested to know that Tocumwal on the New South Wales border has a grassed Foreshore Reserve on the banks of the Murray where you'll find the 'World's Biggest Codfish' on display representing what the area is most famous for. The Aboriginal name for the Murray Cod is 'Goodoo' and you can make a wish in the wishing well below it.I am sure that many of our fishing colleagues have made substantial donations over the years there.Tight Lines! :fishing:[glow=red,2,300]See Ya on the River Bank...[/glow]

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of those old giant murray Cod pics are actually not Murray Cod at all but giant Queensland Groper,not saying that that pic isnt but there are a fair few that were,and back in the day some ill informed people would presume they were Murray Cod.It was proven by marine bioligists after studying the pics that these huge fish were actually Groper ,which can grow in excess of 800lbs.Thats not to say some of the old pics arent Cod,but some werent.Cheers

G"day pellpeeli,not for one minute am I saying those pics arent legit,to be honest I cant even remember where I read it,but the article was along the lines of Murray Cod growth potential and the largest confirmed ever capture,be great if you could find more out.Obviously the Groper wernt caught in the Murray,just pics of them caught from elsewhere and when people saw them, being black and white box browny jobs ,someone with not much idea would think it was a Murray Cod and there you have it, a pic of a 400lb or god knows whatever size "Cod". Cheers

hi cal the wheels are in motion to find more info on this subject ,as i said" Watch This Space" it may take a while so heres one i prepared earlier [thumb][/thumb] this was peelipeeli 5 mi first cod on lure cheers peelipeeli 13 size=676http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/snSWWtWy__first_ever_cod_on_a_lure.JPG[/img]

gidday luke_westlakesits an old photo august 06 up near Inverell north of Tamworth,Yes L/B just walking the riverbank up one of the creeks off the Mackintyre river which was just holes only small snags and sticks ,at the time sometimes walking 4klm round trip went about six times for 5 cod all legal size some released .sadly my daughter doesnt live up there any more so no reason to drive 1300klms,i have more photos if you want to see cheers peelipeeli 13