Daiwa Sensor Surf trim?

G"day guys,I have recently purchased a Daiwa Sensor Surf 11,4 suited to my preferred reel choice of casting OH.In the catalogue it states that the butt length can be trimmed to suit individual comfort levels.I am not going to rush out and do this,but because i prefer non level wind reels,it may be a bit high to use them comfortably in its stock configuration.If I do decide to take any off it will only be about 3 inches[makes a difference when guiding the line on by hand]Would it be worthwhile sending it in to a builder,or would it be safe to do so myself.Bit worried being a high modulous blank it could somehow fracture if not done 100% perfect.Any thoughts?cheers :icon_cool:

Cool SF,yes I can probably do it myself,but like you say ,just make sure first.The Daiwa catalogue and website say they can be trimmed to suit,thats probably the reason its so long.I may not even do it yet,will just give it a couple of sessions before the mind is made up.One thing for sure,its a dam nice rod.Cheers

Most Daiwa stuff are nice 8)

Cool SF,yes I can probably do it myself,but like you say ,just make sure first.The Daiwa catalogue and website say they can be trimmed to suit,thats probably the reason its so long.I may not even do it yet,will just give it a couple of sessions before the mind is made up.One thing for sure,its a dam nice rod.Cheers

Do it yourself Cal have many mates who have trimmed them down (One who used the saw on his multi-tool at salt creek. lol)but most will use as lamdbased said a fine tooth hacksaw bladeAnd i sent one back that a customer bought that had a slight defect in the blank he had cut the butt almost to the grip They said noworries and exchanged it for himCheers Adam

Alright guy I've done it and already used it 8)So if anyone else gets one and finds the winch fitting a tad high,it can be done easily.Daiwa are true to their wording on their web catalogue. 8)I just pulled the end cap off,and be careful doing this as the cork 'rubber grip is attatched to it at the bootom.With a fine bladed hacksaw,trimmed off the amount that I had come to the conclusion was just right for me,then simply slid the cap back on with a bit of araldite to secure it.End result is one hell of a wicked surf rod with everything just perfect and comfortable for my style.And for the record didnt catch anything of note,a fiddler and 2 sand crabs,but to be honest it was just a flick off a local beach to practice casting and getting familiar with it.Cheers 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good cal will have to do the same ;D got a similar rod in from the US same length just called t.d surf must be the old model from the silver ones you get now coz this ones black 8),same length 25-50lb cast 6-8ou xh. As im using the same reel ure running with no level wind was thinking the same thing.