Soft Plastics Reels

Hi Leethal,mainly for Bream in the Onk, Trouties at the Goolwa Mouth near the dredge. The heavier plastics for snapper which i already have gear for. Obviously something with lots of bearings would be good however a good drag is of most benefit hey..Waterboy,I dont really have a set style anymore due to having an artificial shoulder thats getting worse and needs a rebuild again, so i like to get out and try alot of things. Like you I have very little money to spend on new gear and would like something that can cover most applications.cheerssteve

The okuma AV20’s are a nice reel but have shown an issue with the anti reverse bearing.Not all but every so often some one gets a dud.You would find some nice and better quality reels if affordable around the $200-$250 price range

Keep an eye out on the classified section on here, you may be able to pick up a quality reel cheap. If not have a look on ebay for a older model second hand shimano stradic they will set you back around the $100 mark and are a tough reel. But you can never be sure of the quality from ebay. If you wanted brand new the penn affinity i think are around the 120 mark and are good reels. But without a more clarified price range it is hard to offer to much advice. Once you get the reel chuck some 4 or 6lb braid for it, you will find this breaking strain line will cast plastics with ease.

Go to ebay and look up.. SPINNING REEL EUROSTAR EVENT 4000 9 BBThese come in 3 sizes,selling for about $30.I have 3 and a few mates I know use them too..you will like the reel and should get a really good run out of it..Quite smooth in their action,2 alloy spools and exceptional drag.Only 2 left..must be running out of stock.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have shoulder issues, maybe take some time to consider if casting constantly all day is really the thing for you at all!If so, you'll want something very light and well balanced to create as little aggravation to ya shoulder as possible.A wide shallow spool will also cast better than a narrow spool.I'm a big fan of the Daiwa range, and I don't think they can be beaten for performance and service.Choose the best you can afford, and give it a good clean and spray with inox after each use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,have been having a chat with waterboy and hope to get something soon. The shoulder is an issue however casting only shorter distances,sight casting and making sure i give it a rest frequently i have found only helps me that is why i have been unable to chase the sharks at the mouth as i no longer have the strength or the movement to fight them or cast for them. The sp style i think is better suited to me.....thx for all comments too! greatly appreciated :icon_e_biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...