Keeping dough mixes on the hooks

Hi guys, Well I'm flat broke at the moment, about 5c in my wallet and I'm still after the ever elusive Mulloway. I have made a dough mix up for catching some tommy's which I know is lethal coz it was my burley mix for a while and it sent em nuts. Only problem is I can't keep it on the hooks!Should I just keep thickening it up with flour or does anyone know any tips that could help me out? Cheers guys. Also I have a tin of sweet corn do you rkn they'd perhaps take that?

a bit off topic but i saw a couple from WA catching tommies down yorkes using a float with 2 hooks under with small pieces of green drinking straw cut on an angle on the hooks just sittting on not hooked on they had dug a hole in the float and packing berley in therethey just cast out and slow retrieve and were getting tommysps know what its like to be broke not working at the moment so have heaps of fishing time but have to scrape up cash for bait berley etc so giving anything cheap a go atmgood luckjustin

I have made a dough mix up for catching some tommy's which I know is lethal coz it was my burley mix for a while and it sent em nuts. Only problem is I can't keep it on the hooks!Also I have a tin of sweet corn do you rkn they'd perhaps take that?

In Pommy land the Coarse Fishers make up little dough balls and spice them up with any flavouring you want and then drop them in boiling water to stiffen them up, hence the name "boilies". They also use exotic fluro dyes in pink, orange, green, etc your imagination is the limit you can go to :fishing:You could make up larger ones and cut little pieces off for the Tommys and they keep forever in a plastic container in your fridge 8)I put stale bread in the liquidiser to make bread crumbs for berley and yes, sweet corn for almost any SEA or fresh water fish is one of the least known fishing secrets :fishing:Cheers, tonyb.PS if you haven't got into diced chicken breast by now.........!

Another thing you can do david is get one cheap piece of roo meat even 2 or 3 dollars worth is enough.Slice it up into little strips, then douse it in curry powder[one 2$ black and gold curry powder will last ages]And Tommies will go mad for it + it stays on the hook well and you can catch 2 or more fish sometimes before having to change the bait.Dont have to be a millionaire to get into good fishing just resourceful.Cheers

yeah go the roo meatafter cutting mine up in tiny cubes [thanks tony]i put in bait bucket with semolina add sum currymaybe add a little pilchard berleyand youve got a great cheap bait ive caught mullet tommys ST,s and whiting using thisand as tony says tiny bits of chicken it works just change it over all the timegood luck im gonna try corn nextcheers justin

• 1 month later...

I thought you could only use fish type bits for fishing... Or is that just a berley thing? If it isn't that seems to be very contradictory to the rule and would mean I could put a steak on a hook, although I can only just afford to eat the odd steak at the moment so wouldn't waste it anyway ;D ;DBut if someone could clear this up that would be cool as mince is very cheap and bait is expensive when you don't have money.