They love the TOADS

Went for a quick fly fish in the kayak this arvo to see if I could christen the new Nitro Velocity 4wt rod that Mr Rudd bought for me :icon_e_biggrin:. Got a few sambo trout (Snapper bait) and rolled over this 31cm Breambo. They really do love the Toad flies. Very relaxing way to spend to the arvo :fishing:.Cheers DarrenPosted Image

Tony B casting does take some getting used to from a seated position but as I'm only casting about 60 feet it isn't that hard. Anyway he 4wt isn't known as a distance casting rod. The medicine is change the flies and the colour often.JW, now the computers fixed I can post on here again, hopefully we can get a few more fish soon and keep this section rolling along again.Brenton,No mate it wasn't Westlakes, I haven't fished there since the summer when JW and myself were smashing the bream on surface flies. Maybe I better go back and have a look soon. There's heaps of sambos everywhere at the moment, not too hard to find.Cheers Darren

Brenton to tell the truth I was only thinking that the other day, this time of year in the lake they are usually a good size too.Tony B, I use an intermediate line as you can't get a full sinking line for a 4wt, well not that I know of anyway. I use a floating only when fishing surface flies and I don't like sink tip lines unless I'm fishing the flats. The flies will fish quite easily down to about 10 feet on the intermediate but rarely do I fish that deep. It's all trial and error but with small dumbell eyes on the flies they go down well and because of the movement of the Marabou they do quite often get hit on the drop or as soon as you move the fly. Hope this helps. Cheers Darren

Many thanks for that Darren, locked into the memory bank for when the reddy fever subsides a bit ;) Could you tell me a bit about the "toad"? not a pattern I'm familiar with, but may have the material to tie one if I knew what it consisted of and what hook sizes you favour :fishing:Cheers, Tony.

Here you go Tonyb, the tail is marabou, the collar is cross cut rabbit strip and the head is Poly yarn tied in Merkin style then either small metal bead chain eyes or plastic bead chain eyes depending on what you want the fly to do. Also the fly should end up about 50mm long and be tied on a Gamakatsu B10s hook in size 4 because it has a wide gape. Hope this helps.Cheers DarrenPosted Image

Mate !Wet fly........ bit a wind, Thats one big fly to chuck with a 4wt.Great work Big B,Using a 4# line ?

Double haul dude.Definately a 4wt line Nick, must say I like calm conditions though. You'd be surprised but the fly casts very easily as the poly yarn head gets rid of the water quickly. Don't know why I ever fished a 6wt for bream, they go mean on the 4. Try it some time you'll see what I mean.Cheers Darren

It's Ok Nick we can't all be good :stir: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:.I don't know about Snapperhead but those :censored: mullies are too hard for me to catch. I can't even get them with bait never mind the fly .hissy. :laugh: :laugh: I'm loving this light wieght stuff though ;).Cheers Darren

All right ya got me Im gonna bite .hissy.Steady on ...... I have a small 7' 4# metolious and have nailed many fish on it.Admittedly its primary use is for tight creeks, yes we all now where. I have used it in the broughton, where I have scored some lively browns and rainbows up to about 55cm. :fishing:, ;)I know snapperhead and the chuckster have had great success on the mullies with SP, just checking to see if the've stopped one with the wand yet. 8)

• 2 weeks later...