HELP!! sex my redfin

Does anyone know if it's possible to sex a redfin short of filleting it?I've looked on the net and you can sex just about everything known to man, but somehow nobody sems to have researched a fact that is concerning me, is my pet fish a he, she, or maybe even a hermaphrodite? Thanks boys, I'll expect an answer within an hour of this post or else this forum is not near as good as I reckon it is ;););)

well i'm a bit late so you might be disappointed in our lack of piscatorial knowledge,but if memory serves me correctly i reckon its the shape of the head,females more rounded and males have a more pronounced hump.As an example the 3 fish in your other post in the landing net,the middle fish looks like a female,as for juveniles beats me. cheers brenton

As I expected,the humour has outnumbered the wisdom by two to one ::) ::) ::)Do you have anything solid to work with on your idea Brenton? Certainly sounds feasible, just finished cleaning the saturday catch and I thought I was on to something with some light coloured flecks of red along the underbellys of the fish but it was common to both sexes and probably 'cos they are into the breeding season now :icon_e_geek:Cheers, Tony.

Gidday tonyb I had a quick look around ,no luck.Question: given that it is illegal to return redfin to the water ! wouldn't it be easy to work it out while cleaning ? :-\ Im not haveing a go at you tonyb, Its just that with goldern perch I think the big difference is Males are more slender in height , where as females develope a higher back.Im not to familliar with redfin as we dont catch any up this way :( cheers peelipeeli 14

Thanks for the input PP14, I'm referring to my latest 1.44 kg reddy which I caught in a Club Dam which I have now given a new home and identity (status is now raised from wild, predatory, feral, introduced pest, to a much loved and admired pet) :PProblem is, I don't know if it's a boy or girl and it's confusing this poor old pommy ba***rd ::)As it is alive and very much kicking I'm reluctant to probe it's anal passage for signs of spawn or milt ??? There's just gotta be info somewhere in this massive technology orientated world to solve this sexing problem thingo .hissy.Cheers, tonyb.

well i'm a bit late so you might be disappointed in our lack of piscatorial knowledge,but if memory serves me correctly i reckon its the shape of the head,females more rounded and males have a more pronounced hump.As an example the 3 fish in your other post in the landing net,the middle fish looks like a female,as for juveniles beats me. cheers brenton

Not certain if that theory is quite correct Brenton as those 3 fish were definitely all girls.Could be the way the piccy was taken tho' :-\

It depends on the type of fish. Some fish have external characteristics that are different in males and females (e.g., color, or modified fins, etc.). Others have no obvious external characteristics.The easiest fish to sex are the livebearing fish. Males are usually smaller and more colorful than the females. They also possess an external sexual organ, the gonopodium, which makes it easy to differentiate males from the females. The gonopodium is a modified anal fin which is used to fertilize eggs. In the male the anal fin is rod shaped, while the female has a traditional fan shaped anal fin.The only positive way to determine the sex of sexually monomorphic (males and females look alike) species is by examination of the vent. The vent is the opening between the anus and the anal fin where the fish will excrete either eggs or sperm.This will help: http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Just out of interest was reading something the other day regarding Redfin.Its that they lay their eggs in a gelatanius cluster,which has a substance in it which other fish find unpalatable.Probably one of the reasons they breed up in big numbers.Cheers

Just out of interest was reading something the other day regarding Redfin.Its that they lay their eggs in a gelatanius cluster,which has a substance in it which other fish find unpalatable.Probably one of the reasons they breed up in big numbers.Cheers

Interesting one that Cal, as I have a pet theory about our Club Dams which hold Catfish and these dont have small Reddys,only big ones, not only 'cos of the Catty's predating on the bub reddys but also on the eggs/spawn :icon_e_ugeek: Course I've no way of proving this but it's got to be more than coincidence :-\Cheers, Tony.

Probably on the money Tony,as the article I read was from the UK.The theory could be further pursued to say that the unpalatable spawn may apply to native fish of that part of the world.Fish that the Reddys have evolved with,but not evolving with our native species such as Catfish,who may not be affected by it,therefor seeing a clump of reddy spawn as a tasty morsel,whereas maybe something like a Carp or Trout may not .If you see where I"m coming from.Cheers

Always wondered about the eggs being un-palatable to other fish Cal :-\I reckon it's one of those things very difficult to prove and it sounds true so it's put out there as true. I was looking up the Australian museum for info on Redfin and believe it or not they have maximum sizes of Redfin to 10.4 KILOGRAMS ::) ???I read in a more factual article that a 1 1/2lb female reddy, lays between 2 and 3 thousand eggs in one hit :o Now we're talking population explosion!

Well, boys, I sorted through a couple of dozen sets of redfin genitalia over the last few weeks and I think I've got it together now as there were only a couple that were a bit "Iffy" :icon_e_ugeek: :icon_e_geek: (Me gotta get a life soon ::) )The girls have a widened sex gland (no lewd or lascivious remarks boys, this is a serious educational program! ) which is the opening nearest to the tail. The other is the anus.Ranger's input via the link he provided has solved my knotty (naughty? ) problem, so credit and karma to "the Man" 8) 8) 8)All I've gotta do now is catch my reddy with it's metaphoric trousers around it's ankles ::)Thanks for all the input boys, certainly learn lotsa good stuff on S&H :fishing: 8)Cheers, tonyb.Posted ImagePosted Image