What kind of braid are you using? The rounder a braid is the less likely it is that it will dig in. Also, when you load up a reel with braid you need to put it on with as much tension as you possibly can, a tightly packed spool of braid will not dig in. Hope this helped.

put it on with as much tension as you possibly can, a tightly packed spool of braid will not dig in.

I would agree this is the answer.
Hmm, I might go down to the nearest oval and stretch the line out and re-spool. Hope i don't clothes line anyone. She's pretty thick braid 100lb .45mm or something thickness, not the roundest but better than others.

Here's what I do when I put braid on a threadline reel. Get a nice thick phone book, like the Adelaide yellow pages, place it on a kitchen chair so it overhangs the edge a bit, put the spool on the ground underneath the phone book and run the line between the pages somewhere in the middle, then place some weight on the book(I use a plano box full off heavy jigs and add/remove more if necessary), position yourself in a chair far enough away so the line comes out of the other end of the phone book and can be threaded through the entire length of the rod your reel is on, tie the line to the spool, crank up the drag and start spooling. The line should go on with nice even tension, adjust the weight on top of the book until you get the most tension possible without it being impossible to reel.For overhead reels I use a line winding contraption from Berkley, it doesn't have enough tension by itself, but I attach it to the kitchen table with a couple of c-clamps, wind with one hand and use a gloved hand on the spool to apply the appropriate amount of tension. I have ideas for building my own rip-off of this machine but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Its an overhead, but yeah i'll wind it on another real set the drag to 3 or 4kg and wind i back on. I did originally put it on with a bit of pressure though. thanks for the help guys karma for all.

Here's a tip for winding line from one reel to another. I made a device to make this easier, just take a couple old or broken rods, cut them down so there's just the grip and about 30cm of the rod left, then slide one rod into the other one and gaffer tape (or epoxy if your fancy) the two together. You'll end up with a tool about a metre long with two rod butts which face each other, just put your reels into each winch mount and you can easily transfer line from one reel to another. :icon_e_geek:

Yeah, I remember seeing that awhile back, unfortunately I lack any metal working skills or tools, but that's about what I would make if I had any talent. The cheap, plastic Berkley line winder works well enough, I brought mine from the US, don't know if they're available down here.

I have made a simple tensioner to use when spooling reelsit consists of about 8" of 5/8 threaded rod & 2 rubbers off of an old set of falcon shock absorbers, put the threaded rod in the vice so that it sticks out sideways, put one rubber on the rod all the way to the vice, put the spool of mono/braid on (I have the line comming off from the top as it sits better on the reel), put the other rubber on up to the spool of line & turn it either way to adjust the tension, maintains the same tension all the time, this can also be taken when on trips for when you need to respool, just get your mates to hold each end of the threaded rod[Posted Image]Yorky