some advise on livies

g day all am heading to port augusta in a fort night and was wondering if any one can give me some advise on livies ie how long can i keep them alive in a live well and wat lasts longer squid or fish..i plan to head up fri arvo and try for some livies then spend the next coupla days chasing kings and sharks..any advise will be helpful as never fished augusta before.... cheers carps

howdy carps,live squid can be a bit sensitive to their environment but if you change water regularly they will be ok,noticed from previous experience aswell is to change water more often at first because of the ink effect,then they seem to run low on ink and water quality stays better longer.if i was you though i would put live baitfish in your esky with aerators and keep squid seperate.you can get these floating nets with foam ring that floats on top of the water and these would be better for the squid once your at your spot.just use a tub and change the water regular until you set up camp so to speak.seen these made aswell with clothes basket and rubber tube.baitfish will stay alive allnight without a water change as long as they have good aeration.water gets stinky though.hope this helps,cheers.

I agree with Fred.We have tried a few different ideas and found the old bucket with a lid to be the best at keeping squid kicking.I have a plumbed live bait tank that I use to put my squid in initially and for travelling between spots. Once I'm setup I transfer the spares into a bucket and hang it over the side.Another tip is to drill the holes around the top 1/3 of the bucket so if you have to pull the bucket out of the water quickly (ie: you get a run) your squid won't run out of water and die.