need help. tried all around port and st kilda and north arm for mully but no luck put lots of time in and only a doggy in the port river. are all the reports about them being there true or made up? any hints or tips we use all fresh baits and live baits

All I can say mate is that they ARE in there, but as you're discovering, being able to fond one is another matter..Plenty of guys have good knowledge on these fish, and there's a lot of general help around, but guys in the know usually play their cards very close to their chests when it comes to specifics :lol: All I can suggest is do heaps of research and spend heaps of time trying out every bit of info you hear and learn ;)

Thanks for that. i have spoke to many people they all have different ideas but all have had got them in there. tried top of tide bottom of tide, 2 days before and after full or new moon tried around power station old and new, black pole in north arm , upper reaches. its hard to work out where when, they all use different times and moons but none work for me yet

SPY wrote:

its hard to work out where when, they all use different times and moons but none work for me yet

Exactly mate. That's the same dilemna many fishos face when targetting elusive species.I think you're just gonna have to keep at it 'til ya find something that does work for you .Wish I could help ya more; at least that would mean I knew what I was doing too :dry: :huh::unsure::(
SPY wrote:

need help. tried all around port and st kilda and north arm for mully but no luck put lots of time in and only a doggy in the port river. are all the reports about them being there true or made up? any hints or tips we use all fresh baits and live baits

No spoon feeding now ya here :laugh::laugh:;) Hands on, get out there and experience it..The hards yard ya do ur self is the most rewarding.. Even though it will take time.. Im an L plater but wont give up, Thats the beauty of fishing :)

At west lakes, you need to put the hours in exploring the drop offs, and such. I have found whenever I have hooked one the in there, the bream tend to be scarce on the same day. A good starting point is at around the bower rd reserve, and around western steps by trimmer parade. Happy Hunting!

Thats where I have caught them, but on the port river side ;) Try lures at low tide, and livies once the gate closes. Put in the hours there and you will definitely get them. Not only schoolies there either, every year a few big ones get caught there.

Outlet pipes bower rd, outgoing tide they open up into the port(I think)Fish livies or large lures, cd18 etc with a very slow retrieve.Full moon can be productive so I'm told.Not my experience but was told to me by someone, I've seen the pictures to prove it good fish 20-30lb.Like anything you need to put in serious hours.

I hope it does mate i must be due soon for a one :) I had a good look around the upper reaches on the weekend there seems to be lots of weed and rubbish around even a shopping trolly in the water, i have heard off making reefs but it looks preaty shitty up there! :unsure:

Haven't had much luck with the large Winter fish in the Port River, but a few years ago, we used to do OK on the smaller fish in the creeks around Torrens and Garden Islands.Fished from a small boat around end of February into March. Near low tide, fishing in the channels and holes using small, live shitties as bait. Squid heads worked well too. Fished them about a metre and a half off the bottom with the "running sinker" type rig if the current was strong. Less weight if well up the creeks.Always fished at night. The weather was nice and warm, but you get eaten alive by mozzies...some are 6 inches between the eyes.Good luck.

Guest SuperThahn

if you guys have been fishing for them for years and still no luck there are 2 senarios.1. you dont make a fishing diary. 2. you dont have your bait in the water.there is heaps of jewies in the river for those that put in the time.Never going to be easy but once you crack a strike do the exact same thing til you get another one.

I havent fished the river for larger mulloway too seriously since I live the other side of town.The past few weeks I have been trying quite a lot and on my third or so serious attempt I got a hookup only to to have the fish do laps of the structure on me. Was a reasonable one too, good head shakes and took a good couple of runs. I paniced a bit and it won the battle.The fish are there as ST said above - bait in the water helps a lot.

• 2 years later...

well few years have pasted now since this post but i now can say its nearly every time we go we get. chasing mully was fun and expensive but now i have worked it out ist all about keeping it simple try not to over complicate things and be quiet. thanks to every one for the advice a coulple of years ago