Gday all.I've been given a $200 voucher at a well known Adelaide tackle shop (I won't say which one).I'm looking to get a good little spin reel (2000 size) up to about $300.I've been encouraged to look at Daiwa Sol by the mate who gave me the voucher.I already have a Shimano Exage 2500 and a Shimano Navi 5000 and am happy with both. I also have a big Penn for heavy stuff and am happy with that.Anyone got an suggestions?Thanks in advance.Tight lines.

For the smaller spinning reels, I too would recommend Daiwa over Shimano.As far as I'm concerned Shimano stalled in the water about 10 years back, whilst Daiwa continued to refine and introduce new technology while Shimano sat back resting on their laurels. Only recently did shimano realise this, and I believe they then introduced the Fireblood as a direct copy of the daiwa reels to try catching up again.I think the Sol is a tad over $300 from memory, but the entire range have good reputations.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know how much more you'd be willing to push the budget but if you can afford it (prob another $70 or so) id go the luvias. Feels way smoother. i just bought the 2000, love it and am glad that i decided to just get it straight up rather than trade up later. That said, if your happy with the sol, theyre tuff reels.Cheers michael

Guest big lizard

Yep i'd go a Sol 2500 had 2 of them and i now fish the top end Dawia tackle, but the sol's are a very worthy reel..... If you plan on using it for fish other than bream a 2500 is the size you want....

if you wanna go a 2500, go the luvias, way more versitile. as with everything, it comes down to personal preference, but IMO, sol 2500 weight is anoyying for breamming. but, in a 2000 size, the sols pretty hard to beat value for money wiseeither way there all decent reels, just make sure you buy wats best for wat you want it for

Thanks for the info you blokes.After much consideration & pondering I went for the Sol 2000 and ended up with a very good price from a southern suburbs tackle shop (who I don't think is a site sponsor so I won't mention their name).The Luvias was just a bit out of my price range - I didn't really think I needed a $390 reel to target bream, flathead & yellowfin. I'll save the big buck jobs for a heavy snapper/kingfish/shark rod & reel combo.Ive just had a play with the reel and am about to spool it with some nice light braid then stick it onto the Raider.Thanks again for the well considered opinions. Hopefully soon I can post some photos of success.Thanks. Cheers. Tight lines.