Blade lure help?!?

g'day,i've had a couple of 1/4oz blade lures in different colours for a while now and have thrown them at various species of scales and only managed one flathead - see profile pic (i think i threw the blade right into its mouth by chance). the different targets were snook, flathead, tommies & yellowfin whiting. with only the one fish caught i figure i must be doing something wrong as far as the retrieve/working of the lure goes as i spotted plenty of fish around the lure - exception being flathead - and none showed any interest. i tried a slow retrieve, fast retrieve, stop/start (not letting lure hit the bottom though), jig and none of these techniques seem to work. can anyone give me some advice on how to effectively fish with these lures as there seems to be a lot of hype about them but i cant buy a hit!

Blades do work well on a variety of species, but it depends on the situation.Snook and Tommies can be quite finicky at times, and Yellow Fin Whiting on lures are not easy.Do you know if the fish you were after were wiling to take a different type of lure?Let the lure hit the bottom for Yellow fin.Try using very short hops when using Blades.

thanks tombo, as i didnt know what i was really doing i just threw and retrieved the lure so i could feel it working i did this at various speeds. i grew up on a farm just out of tumby bay where we just bottom bashed for whiting (using 6-8kg rods - overkill!! :woohoo: ) and occasionally chased squid and even more occasionally snapper, so the whole lure thing is very new to me as is shore based fishing and here on yorke peninsula and without a boat i have to learn these skills just for a feed. am doing ok on the yellowfin using worms but thats about it really.

i used them to good effect fishing a reefy bottom recently not far from coffins off the rocks. catching trevally. letting them drop deep.. then a 50-100cm lift of hte rod then retreive and drop...Solid... sounds familiar... farm outside of Tumby... a lawrie by any chance???

ive always believed that there is no such thing as a ;ure that doesnt work...they will all catch fish if the fish are hungry... some will catch more than others...the best salmon lure i had was made from a piece of stainless bar...no shape, just polished to be shiny... made it at work, ground a flat on the front for a swivel, and a flat on the front for 2 hooks facing back to back...then cut asmall teardrop shape out of a red ice cream container and put that next to the hooks...damn that caught some nice fish over the years, until i got it snagged and lost it... must make up another one day.

• 2 months later...