Carbon/graphite drag washers

You will lose a degree of drag pressure, but will have a much smoother drag for it.I have changed all the drag washers in my Shimano Calcutta's for Jack Erskine Smoothies, and I'm happy with the change.Drag washers are model specific, although I guess anything can be made up (or cut down) to fit.I have no expertise on the subject, but I've been "told" that in some reels you cannot change drag washers (TLD's, Charter Specials).

Sounds like the Jack Erskine washers are a re-branded version of the Smooth Drag products, here's their link:http://www.smoothdrag.com/I've used the carbontex drags along with the flat-ground metal washers and it increases both drag range and smoothness. This upgrade makes reels with notoriously crappy drags like Abus instantly better. I've never used them, but I've been told by many that the smoothies and extreme smoothies are crap, get the carbon fiber ones.As far as what reels can have their drags replaced, here's the link to Alan Tani's site. This guy is the authority on rebuilding reels and upgrading drags.http://alantani.com/Most of the time you only see upgrades for overhead drag systems, but there must be some kits for threadlines in the works now that they have become much more high performance styles of reels.

plankton wrote:

As far as what reels can have their drags replaced, here's the link to Alan Tani's site. This guy is the authority on rebuilding reels and upgrading drags.http://alantani.com/

What an informative site!I just read through a thread on stripping down a TLD (including replacing the drag washers) and have decided that I wouldn't even risk messing with this myself. A job for the experts!
  • 2 weeks later...

HT-100 is Penn's own proprietary brand of drag material, and in my humble opinion is the best drag made. The washers are usually a bit thicker than carbontex so it's not always easy to make the swap between the two. I think the Tani site has a thread about the size of various HT-100 washers for reference of using them in other brands of reels.

• 3 years later...

I have done the drag upgrade for all of my reels over the years.TLD's 15 - 20 - 25. Did the Alan Tani upgrade on the 25 and the difference is incredible. Everything from my 1500's through to the 6500's on Spin and Light baitcasters through to lever drag. Costs a bit but if you do a couple every month it works out. I also run them wet with Cals Grease.