matt654 wrote:

i think it works because squids r cannibalistic

for sure...the last small squid i got i put it on a hook alive, and had a balloon on as well... cept the stupid thing kept swimming back to me.at my feet a much bigger squid came in, and grabbed the little one.so got that on the jig as well...but it had killed the small squid

Rocknev, same thing kept happening with me out Fowlers bay. All my sessions on the jetty big squid reeked havoc on my live squid baits even when i upgraded to bigger live baits they kept killing each other. They are vicious creatures them squid. I'll def give the cockle or squid on the jag a shot next time.

• 5 weeks later...

see like all fish squid have a keen sense of smell so instead of trying all theese diff things to put on your jag with most of them affecting the swimming of the lure properly,as far as the squids attacking squids this happens after the breeding cycle and the girls start to be cannables and will attack and eat other squid,whyen you have squid around but very finiky this is because they r useualy gaurding the hatch and arnt hungry but will have a go at the lure if to close.now here is a realy good method to bring any squid in your area to you,all that is needed is a burley pot with some crushed up pillies in it and have a mixture of bait on jags and prawn style jags and the squid will follow that scent for miles to find its sorce staight to your awaiting jags.tight lines and good luck