Jurassic Park

Don't forget your parking ticket for when you get there33.54.000137.19.129Safcol Fish Markets are approximately 150km closer & youv'e only got to walk across the carpark when you get there. Alternatively, you could drive for 1hr 40mins, launch your boat, risk the ramp rage, burn another 50litres of fuel to line up & wait your turn for 6 fish.I guess if thats what it takes to get a fish, lets all do it.Finatic

finatic wrote:

Don't forget your parking ticket for when you get there33.54.000137.19.129Finatic

Yep and don't forget there is a N, S, E & W or is that -, + and nothing, oh and plus a Datum. Oh yeah that's right everybody has to be a mind reader :ohmy:Then we all know (don't we?) there can never ever never be more than 2 decimal points in any altitude or longitude :silly: yet we still see more than 1 decimal point in a latitude and Longitude.Arh well many are keeping up the tradition!

So GNSS are you suggesting that 19.129 minutes is incorrect??? or in fact 19.129 minutes can not exist or be plottedor that .129 seconds is not 129/60,000ths of a minute???Converted 129/60,000ths of a minute is 7.47 seconds if you wish for a less than accurate coordinate.An examplehow far in fact is it between point S 33 54 00E137 19 7.47& pointS 33 54 00E 137 19 7.48orS 33 54 00E137 19 7.46My bet is that it is a whole lot further than the distance between S 33.54.000 E 137.19.129& S 33.54.000E 137.19.130orS 33.54.000E 137.19.128I may yet stand corrected, but I don't think so.To save the confusion for those that will likely get blown away by technicalities here, I have a convertor in store, feel free to bring in your mark for conversion to a format that you may better understand.GNSS, don't know about that bus load, looking at the karma it may stay empty for a while.Finatic

An examplehow far in fact is it between point S 33 54 00E137 19 7.47& pointS 33 54 00E 137 19 7.48

Now would that beS33° 54' 00" E137° 19' 07.47"S33° 54' 00" E137° 19' 07.48"OR do you mean something else?when you clarify then I can tell you otherwise only a guess at what your format intentions are. If you actually mean those coordinates to be Degrees Minutes & Seconds then make it absolutely clear.Perhaps in the lazy and confused world of the web S33.54.000 E 137.19.129 is "supposed" to be S33° 54.000' E137° 19.129' ?????I wouldn't be worried about the karma'ers either :)
finatic wrote:

An examplehow far in fact is it between point S 33 54 00E137 19 7.47& pointS 33 54 00E 137 19 7.48Plane Distance 0.257morS 33 54 00E137 19 7.46Plane Distance 0.257mMy bet is that it is a whole lot further than the distance between S 33.54.000 E 137.19.129& S 33.54.000E 137.19.130orS 33.54.000E 137.19.128Plane Distance 1.542mI may yet stand corrected, but I don't think so.Yes you stand correctedTo save the confusion for those that will likely get blown away by technicalities here, I have a convertor in store, feel free to bring in your mark for conversion to a format that you may better understand.GNSS, don't know about that bus load, looking at the karma it may stay empty for a while.Finatic

Now that is of course if I have read your mind correctly and guessed the format you may have intended ???????First thing with understanding and converting formats is to make the format unambiguous in the first place. The above formats as written are ambiguous
gardy wrote:

So GNSS guess you wont be going there as you dont know what the datum is :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Datum is a different issue, has no affect on the distances between those particular coordinates. Well no affect that would interest you anyway.But we can talk about it if you are up to it :laugh:
  • 2 weeks later...
finatic wrote:

Don't forget your parking ticket for when you get there33.54.000137.19.129Safcol Fish Markets are approximately 150km closer & youv'e only got to walk across the carpark when you get there. Alternatively, you could drive for 1hr 40mins, launch your boat, risk the ramp rage, burn another 50litres of fuel to line up & wait your turn for 6 fish.I guess if thats what it takes to get a fish, lets all do it.Finatic

Hey Fianticis that in GDA94 datum?cheersBigAsh

I found myself wishing to contribute in some small way to this thread as a few others of similar nature have come to an abrupt end.Now B4 I get slammed, remember the thread started with somebody requesting help to find a GPS location for Jurrasic drop, area, carpark, mid north berley ground, annual congregation of Snapperheads etc.GNSS, As I now understand it(understood it fully B4 but plenty of others probably didn't), there could only possibly be 3 actual physical points on the globe, given any particular navigation mark, in any format ie If a mark is supplied in 66 it only has 2 converts one is 84 the other is 94. vice versa for the others. Correct??Shall push on assumedly.And if this were the case & a punter obtained a mark, who cares what format or where from, the punter could convert the mark with a little initiative, into 66, 84 &/or 94 & find himself in the worse case scenario less than 300 metres from the actual physical spot he was trying to acquire.Granted 300 metres is not a long way so far as safety goes, but a great distance if trying to sit on a 4 m/2 plot, so the punter should consider the actual area in question & factor other potential navigational hazards B4 bollocking off to Spot X. GNSS, I hear what you say so far as safety & navigation relative to formats is concerned & respect your knowledge & complete understanding of such, but I think you will find the punters on here & every other public Fisho forum are little concerned about the navigation side, rather the ability to sit on top of somebodys rusting car body drop or better still some concrete culverts etc with somewhat of a punters guarantee at catching their chosen species.From a fisho's view, it is always going to a topic of debate, protecting spots, who owns what drop, who found it first, where the mark came from, did your mechanic get it from your GPS whilst servicing etc etc, but at the end of the day the information is freely available to those punters prepared to get off their butts & do a little ground work. It is possible to convert any mark, from any format, to any proposed format & thats what the punters need to hear.So for those that missed where it all started33.54.000137.19.129is the place to be, do your ground work, convert it as you see fit, when you get there, first ask permission to tie off on somebody elses cleat or at the very least leave room for your boat to swing without fouling their anchor rope.Finatic