Karma from me as well.One problem I see with commercial fishing in relation to recreational fishing is that if we catch under size fish we have to return them yet when the pro's catch under size fishin their nets, the fish are dead by the time nets are hauled in.So should the under size be returned ?As far as limits are concerned how many rec fishers can get over the limit ??Boaties maybe but no such luck for landbased.ykmv.

davetheslave wrote:

A pity they don't do some research into possibly making feed pellets or similar for the kingfish and tuna from all the carp in our waterways. Carp are already used as bait for the crayfish industry and crabs like em too, surely it would be worthwhile spending a few dollars seeing if the tuna and kingfish might find them palatable, maybe start a new industry, ease the pressure on our pilchard stocks and help rid our waterways of carp.

they feed the kingfish in the pens here pellets... bro got given some by one of the workers out there... and do they swell when they get wet.artificial fatteners.twice their size the nuts became after a few minutes in the water....long enough for the fish to eat them when they are small, then swell inside the guts.

just to add, now i havn't had time to read the whole thread. But spoke to my best mate about the topic yesterday, he works for the fisheries and said pretty much it aint gunna happen. Reason being that every tom dick and harry they suspect would mean they would have to obtain a warrant.The main people they target are people who are defiling the Ab population.

Gardy mate there are a lot of alternative feeds fella

Once again do some researchAll and I mean all of the alternatives contain fish oilno brainer to know where they get fish oil fromlike I said aquaculture has put unbearable demands on wild fisheries so much so that some countries can no longer sustain themselves on their wild fish catch because countries like Australia and USA have robbed them of their pilchards etc for aquacultureIm talking about countries along the east coast of Africa Do some research

Gardy i'm not going to get myself in an argument over this, I have done my research and I have looked into it and like with all things that are researched over time they develop better methods of obtaining the things they need. How they obtain feed now could change massively, they are researching using different oils such as canola. So look at the big picture and do your own research, drop it and just go fishing!

you obviously haventthere is plenty of reading supporting what i have saidVietnam alone uses between 1 and 2 million (thats right Million) tons of fish alone in any one year to feed aquaculture fishThe figures are astoundingas to replacements

In general, over the years, and especially since the aquaculture sector was alerted to the potential problem on fish meal availability, as a possible limiting factor in its growth surge (Wijkstrom and New, 1989), the emphasis has been to concentrate on finding suitable alternatives for fish meal. Needless to say these efforts havent had much impact on the sector, but primarily on industrial scale fish culture, and particularly on relatively high valued, mostly cold water cultured species such as the salmonids. What can not be ignored is that in Asia, the cradle of aquaculture development, by and large the practices remain relatively small scale, rural, often clustered together, and semi-intensive. This scenario is likely to be retained to the foreseeable future. Consequently, the impacts of fish meal replacement in feeds, for fin fish, may be of limited immediate significance in achieving sustainability and reductions in feed costs.

so do some research B)
pescados wrote:

coight wrote:

Reason being that every tom dick and harry they suspect would mean they would have to obtain a warrant.

OK does that mean than if a fisheries officer approaches me and ask to look in my bucket I can refuse ??
good question, i dont know, but i asume they have that kind of power...bit like safety and welfare blokes.... THE SERIOUS kind, who can even give a fine to a cop is the cop is acting in an unsafe manner.these guys dont need warrents i was told, they can enter any work place, ( even your backyard if your doing work on your own house)if they see something unsafe, they have the power to order you to stop.and hell ...you dont want to argue with these guys.the fine can and often is pretty hefty,.

gardy and statesquid got a question for ya presume for a minute that the human race was taking 0 fish from the ocean ,,would those fish have normaly in turn eaten the pillie and tommies we take out to feed aquaculture now..there fore as we do take fish out the pillies are losing a natural predator in these fish so by taking them out for aquaculture we are actually balancing nature back out again :)

anyone ever seen the show they did on the great sardine run?incredible footage of tens of millions of sardines... and after the dolphins, seal sharks and gannets have finished with them , there is almost nobne left.i was totally amased when i first seen this show on pay tv...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBd4sNHBnYc&feature=related

statesquider wrote:

Not much of a scientist if your basing your argument off one journal article, I'm sure there are many others out there that contradict your argument but there are better things to do than to drag them up :woohoo: Have a beer and go fishing fella. Sorry for the hijack everyone, back to discussing the actual topic at hand....

My thoughts exactly mate have karma
Guest big lizard

#68685 Re:Possesion Limits 1 Day, 8 Hours ago Karma: 4 In my opinion it is pointless having possession limits for recreational fishers when there are no total allowable catch limits on the commercial sector. Simply what we don't catch they will. The commercial fisher’s freezers are full of King George whiting, Snapper and Gar. Is this commercial possession of fish in freezers benificial to sustainable fishing? If you look at the commercial catch figures for King George whiting since the newly imposed recreational size bag and boat limits, you will see their catches have increased. These increased catches in my opinion have increased due to the recreational fisher's reduced catches.How has this helped with sustainable fishing practices and how has this increased the biomass of this species.Commercial fishing in regards to catches of snapper is also in a similar predicament. At the moment this fishery is said to be fully fished yet the commercial fishers can simply take what they like. Why regulate the recreational fishers when the commercial fishers can undo any benefit these regulations were set out to do.We have all seen what has happened in recent times regarding the gar fishery. This is the prime example of what can occur due to overfishing by the commercial sector. Take away some of the netters and the garfish biomass improves.Let's not forget that the commercial sector has achieved record catches of all our important fish species in more recent years. It has been a consequence of this overfishing that has seen our fisheries at unsustainable lowest levels.The recreational fisher has been regulated now for many years with size bag and boat limits. At the time of implementation we were told by the powers that be that this was necessary and in keeping with sustainable fishing. This is just my opinion but as far as I'm concerned I'm against any new regulations that may affect recreational fishing. When the authorities and PIRSA management get it right by implementing TAC limits on the commercial sector, only then will I take another look at possession limits as being another credible means towards sustainable fishing.Until then they can get nicked. yep stuff em well said...lol