Was reading in a Mag today about it..That PIRSA want to enforce possession limits, they haven't targeted exactly what sort of species YET!!! What sort of impact will it have on the business side of things..Not to mention holidays makers who tour and go to fish so to speak, stock up within the daily Bag limits of course.What's other peoples thoughts on it???

This would be ok if there were enough officers to enforce which there are not.Too many undersize fish etc are taken and I look at it this way, if the small one's don't grow to spawn and populate the stocks and the old stock dies than at some stage there won't be too much to catch.Yes so by all means, those who take under size or over bag limit, hit them like a tonne of bricks.Or else we might finish up like WA.

When i rang up fisheries about this early in the year, they denied outright that they were considering it, yet on abc radio a few weeks ago a fisheries spokesman said they were. There was a fisheries stand at the smelters picnic here in port pirie on wednesday so i tackled the fisheries officer who was there. She said that is was already legislated for in the fisheries act but that the legislation had not been acted on as yet. She led me to believe that possession limits would be in within 2 years. I believe that even now there is a de facto possession limit in place where if you have more than 72 whiting in your freezer it is deemed to be a commercial quantity under the law.[ I will stand corrected if i am wrong]It must be said though that 72 whiting should be enough for anyone surely. I visit the west coast around streaky bay once a year and usually go for around 10 days. Staying in the caravan park there i have seen many vehicles from mostly victoria and qld. Many of these people have very large freezers on board, they stay in the area for weeks or months and often go home with hundreds of kilo's of fish fillets. I believe it is these people that fisheries should be targetting. I only take a small engel or chescold freezer with me and i find that the fish i take home with me last for months. I hope that when fisheries bring in these possession limits they are at least reasonable otherwise it will sound the death knell for many of these small towns. Why would i undertake a thousand kilometer + round trip to streaky bay for 10 days if i were only allowed to bring home a couple of dozen fish.

u hear ya dave.2 weeks before the snapper comp here, and 2 weeks after, the city is flooded with big boats from mostly victoria as well...now i big boat raking in 6 large snapper a day for 4 weeks isnt right in my eyes.and thats just ONE boat.sure its good for the town, as they are spending money on tackle, bait, food, fuel and bed etc etc, but i dont own a buisness,so i get nothing out of it.just less fish for me to catch.ive seen big freezers like you mention dave, and they are nearly always full of snapper fillets when they leave.i can also see the point in taking what you need, and maybe a few extra for later, but this is just criminal.when i fished sheringa, i caught approx 30 large salmon in the 3 trips i went, and i bought home just 6... and they were the ones i weighed in the comp.if i didnt want to weigh them, they would have gone back in the water as well.

Possession limits could be a good thing. At the moment we have daily bag limits which seem quite generous. If you eat a lot of fish you would obviously go out more often to get what you need for a feed and thats fine but the people who go to a certain area at a certain time of year cos a particular fish "is on" and holiday for a week or two to fill their freezers to take home and last for 6 months are to blame for yet another law being brought in. As davetheslave said you should be allowed a reasonable amount but what really does seem to be happening is the raping of an area because it is legal to take x amount of fish per day so whilst here lets take what we can. Just because you might not come back for another 6, 12 or 18 months what gives you the right to take as much as you can to stockpile your freezer. 1 person doin it, not really a problem but when its a lot then its just making it harder for the next generation of fisher people and not to mention the locals.

i can also see the point in taking what you need, and maybe a few extra for later, but this is just criminal.

exactly RockNevCatch as many as you like but realistically release whatever your not gonna consume in a reasonable time frame.Take what ya need. Stop the Greed :)

I agree with what Vb4me said but its not just the holiday makers that do that. Quite often its people who just dont care about our fish stocks. We were down at the port a couple of weeks ago and there where some people fishing along the shore and the bucked they had was full of undersized bream and over the bag limit. :(

Doesn't make to much difference to me as 95% of what I catch are feral species or C&R. I think its a good idea as long as the limits are reasonable. I think you should be able to stock up on whiting or snapper for a couple of months worth but years? definatly not.If a couple goes out and gets their limit of whiting then has 2 meals of whiting a week, thats 4 fish a week, would last them 6 weeks. Say its a long weekend with good weather and they get their limit all 3 days. thats enough for 18 weeks. The limits should be kept somewhere around that I reckon. If they own their own boat they'd wanna be using it a lot more than that to make it worthwhile owning a boat in my opinion anyway.Like I said it for me personally I think its great it'd be more fish for me to catch and realease! Although I'd have no trouble keeping my 12 whiting. I would have trouble keeping 2 big snapper though. Or even 1 big snapper if I've caught a smaller one.

"Offence with respect to possession of King George whiting• Pursuant to section 44(4) of the Fisheries Act 1982, if a person has sold, purchased or has possession or control of more that 75 King George whiting then that person may be guilty of an offence. The person must prove that the fish were not taken in contravention of the Act. In other words, the person has complied with size, bag and boat limits in obtaining the fish or has proof of purchase from a registered fish processor."The way I interpret the above is that as long as you can prove that you caught your 12 fish each day legally you can have as many as you want in your possession providing you kept daily receipts of ramp fee's, notified Fishwatch everyday you went fishing and bagged and tagged each daily catch prior to storing in your freezer. If there were 3 or 4 in a family all holidaying and catching fish does that mean you would effectively multiply that 75 fish by 4 times?I don't know why anyone would want that many fish anyway as frozen fish doesn't stay fresh for too long before losing it's fresh fish flavour and starts drying out with freezer burn

rangfish wrote:

We were down at the port a couple of weeks ago and there where some people fishing along the shore and the bucked they had was full of undersized bream and over the bag limit. :(

That IS the problem, not members of various fishing sites but those who are not members and could not give 2 hoots and that does not mean all people are bad.Unless the Govnerment trains and appoints more fisheries officers than it won't get any better and off course hand out realistic penalties.

I take it Fishie thats the current rules.This possession limit is not in effect yet and still needs finalisation. Apparently some sort of survey has been done but the information is still being processed. Snapper and whiting are definitely on the list but other species may be added. I would be guessing it might be another 12 months or more before it is actually implemented.

I don't know why anyone would want that many fish anyway as frozen fish doesn't stay fresh for too long before losing it's fresh fish flavour and starts drying out with freezer burn

And what better excuse to go for a fish than theres none left in the freezer ;)

its not just the holiday makers that do that. Quite often its people who just dont care about our fish stocks.

Maybe thats something that needs to be addressed, the mentality of its legal so who cares. Before laws were brought in for pollution people used to pour their used engine oil down drains. Didnt make it right then either.

I completely agree with everyone on this topic, if only the general public were better educated about this it hopefully wouldn't be such an issue. I'm just glad that I can always turn to this site and discuss topics such as this with people who understand how important it is to fish responsibly. If only there were more of you all out there :)Cheers Lads and Ladies

Some excellent points of view here, great reading..I think the bag out limits are pretty generous now as it is..Just because you can, doesn't always mean that you should IMO..I feel the same way about Blue swimmers aswell, believe you me I LOVE them, and hopefully will be enjoying some soon..40 blueys to me per person, per day and this is just my opinion is alot of Blueys, and you can easily get your quota here at some spots..If you had family, friends, work mates and want to pickle, then yea, but I would not go out again continuously and bag out..Thats just me..

When I went out fishing with a friend and HER BOYFRIEND :angry: Complete Tool, he didn't care what he caught, nor measuring it, and some of the Crabs he caught were under size, I should of STOOD UP and reported him, I did say to him that their undersized, chuck them back, you cant keep them, made the trip very uncomfortable but he ignored and kept going looking at me as if "Stiff Shit", "who are you to tell me attitude"..I had a quiet word to my friend after and it was the first and LAST time I ever graced their presence to go fishing again..He took undersized abalone, I was disgusted :angry: ..

SandyWhiting wrote:

Yer that's right fishie, I saw one fisheries guy coming back the other day in his vehicle from the beach and boat ramp..But its very far and few between.Alot of people dont even pay the boat ramp fee here. :ohmy: Not sure who is supposed to keep a check on that, Council maybe, not sure..

The new owner of the Harbour Kiosk at O'Sullies checks all of the vehicles to make sure they have a ticket and he keeps a list of those that flaunt the fee. I left the ramp the other morning before they opened and got back after they had closed for the day and went straight down the next morning to pay my fee (luckily I did, as he had me on his "bad boys" list for not paying :( )

whyalla council checks the permits.... mostly during the week as thats when he works...i dont like the bloke.... and i dont launch a boat.this guy thinks he is better than everyone else, i once came out of the shops, saw himwriting a ticket to a car in the handicapped zone, (fair enough....) but he had parked NEXT to the bloke in the other handicapped park...i told him he was a hypocrit.... he told me he can park anywhere he likes....i just shook my head...

SandyWhiting wrote:

We have a pretty good boat ramp here, the fee is $4.40 ..Hopefully it goes to maintaining it.."Hopefully" :unsure::)

That's pretty good SandyW.Boat ramp here at Snowdens Beach charges $ 7.00 and no facilities at all.North Haven charge more but all least there is an enclosed car park and boat washing facilities

Whoooa Pescados :ohmy: , now that is steep,especially without any facilities, ours doesn't sound too bad now, we have wash bays too, filleting and cleaning Bench with taps..When the snapper comps on its FULL up even with cars and trailers parked that far back, defiantly need a bigger car park for that event but for everyday use for locals or tourist its quite adequate

We don't pay a cent to launch here in port pirie.and we have a good sized car park. When they did the old ramp up a number of years ago the council wanted to charge us but as they got a grant from the gov't to do it everyone kicked up about it saying that we had already paid for it via our registration fee's and the council backed down. Mind you we havn't got a big marina and multi laned ramp like they have in whyalla. The council is talking about a further upgrade to our ramp now so i suppose there will be a charge put on soon.

Guest big lizard

Possesion limit is a good thing lol? So whats being said is that the pro's rape and pillage and the government once again looks after the industry and the rec fisho gets screwed.... Think about it the rec fisho takes a 1/3 rd of the catch and the pro takes tonneage... Makes me angry..........

Not totally related to the topic but I think that the government should be putting more money into aquaculture so as to take the pressure off wild fisheries. Clearly recreational fishers are not the main problem. The number of fish that are taken by pros is high enough but the biggest thing that gets me is the wasted bycatch. Don't get me started on prawn trawlers...I just don't believe its right to pillage the ocean to a point where it can just sustain itself and slowly stock numbers up.Also I think our personal bag limits are generous as it is. For example cockles... Why did we need to collect 600 in a day? I still think 300 is excessive, clearly 600 was not sustainable as now they are running low. If you want to collect your own cockles I don't see why a dedicated fisho wouldn't take say 200 and return when supplies are low. Feel free to disagree :) its just my opinion

think that the government should be putting more money into aquaculture so as to take the pressure off wild fisheries

you want to do some research buddy before making wild statements like that :ohmy: research is showing that aquaculture is increasing pressure on wild fishesjust look at pilchards and how many tonnes go to aquaculturethe australian catch cant keep up the supply so now they import them as wellever wonder where all the tommies have gone well ic an tell youthey use spotlights to attract the pilchards for nettingthey attract the tommies as well and they are netted as well
gardy wrote:

think that the government should be putting more money into aquaculture so as to take the pressure off wild fisheries

you want to do some research buddy before making wild statements like that :ohmy: research is showing that aquaculture is increasing pressure on wild fishesjust look at pilchards and how many tonnes go to aquaculturethe australian catch cant keep up the supply so now they import them as wellever wonder where all the tommies have gone well ic an tell youthey use spotlights to attract the pilchards for nettingthey attract the tommies as well and they are netted as well
and the pillies from over seas are totl crap IMHO.....

Gardy mate there are a lot of alternative feeds fella :) Not every fish that is aquacultured are fed pilchards.. You'll find there are a lot of other species or man-made feeds available and are used in many aquaculture operations. Pilchards are mainly used as feed for tuna (as well as other species) and they are in the process if developing an alternative which is a substitute for pilchards and has shown some success but is still in developmental stage I believe. Also cleanseas has an extensive tuna breeding program that is still in its early stages but will hopefully reduce the amount taken from the sea in the future

A pity they don't do some research into possibly making feed pellets or similar for the kingfish and tuna from all the carp in our waterways. Carp are already used as bait for the crayfish industry and crabs like em too, surely it would be worthwhile spending a few dollars seeing if the tuna and kingfish might find them palatable, maybe start a new industry, ease the pressure on our pilchard stocks and help rid our waterways of carp.

In my opinion it is pointless having possession limits for recreational fishers when there are no total allowable catch limits on the commercial sector. Simply what we don't catch they will. The commercial fisher’s freezers are full of King George whiting, Snapper and Gar. Is this commercial possession of fish in freezers benificial to sustainable fishing? If you look at the commercial catch figures for King George whiting since the newly imposed recreational size bag and boat limits, you will see their catches have increased. These increased catches in my opinion have increased due to the recreational fisher's reduced catches.How has this helped with sustainable fishing practices and how has this increased the biomass of this species.Commercial fishing in regards to catches of snapper is also in a similar predicament. At the moment this fishery is said to be fully fished yet the commercial fishers can simply take what they like. Why regulate the recreational fishers when the commercial fishers can undo any benefit these regulations were set out to do.We have all seen what has happened in recent times regarding the gar fishery. This is the prime example of what can occur due to overfishing by the commercial sector. Take away some of the netters and the garfish biomass improves.Let's not forget that the commercial sector has achieved record catches of all our important fish species in more recent years. It has been a consequence of this overfishing that has seen our fisheries at unsustainable lowest levels.The recreational fisher has been regulated now for many years with size bag and boat limits. At the time of implementation we were told by the powers that be that this was necessary and in keeping with sustainable fishing. This is just my opinion but as far as I'm concerned I'm against any new regulations that may affect recreational fishing. When the authorities and PIRSA management get it right by implementing TAC limits on the commercial sector, only then will I take another look at possession limits as being another credible means towards sustainable fishing.Until then they can get nicked.niftrev