Crabbing advice

I'm just wondering if any kind peeps care to share advice on crabbing or a newbie.I have three crab nets that I can take out on the boat.Is it just a case of finding a "likely" spot - shoving the nets in with a fish head tied in??It's certainly something that will get the missus out in the boat.We foul hooked a few Blueys last year and have the taste.A couple of people have said don't fish and crab at the same time??Any tips appreciated :)

Tyke, there's nothing to it mate!In the warmer months the water is clearer so you can generally see the bottom.Crabs move in all along the northern metro coastline, so just head out anywhere north of Brighton to between 12 and 40' of water. Don't go too deep coz you need to pull the nets up (I generally crab in around 20').Bait up with old fish heads, pieces of ray, carp, and fishy product convenient for you (even a can of cat food).Look for a sand patch amongst the weed beds and toss the baited nets in.In really clear water you can see the crabs entering the net, in less clear water pull the net every 10-15 mins.You'll get the hang of it in no time!

if wanna get technical get ya self a peice of 150mm down pipe about 1mtr long with a clear peice of perspex on the bottom that way you can look through it and watch the crabs getting into your net and dont have to be pulling your nets for no reason,when the crabs are really on its nothing to pull ya nets up every five mins.on a nice clear day you can watch them enter the nets in 25ft of water :):)

carps wrote:

if wanna get technical get ya self a peice of 150mm down pipe about 1mtr long with a clear peice of perspex on the bottom that way you can look through it and watch the crabs getting into your net and dont have to be pulling your nets for no reason,when the crabs are really on its nothing to pull ya nets up every five mins.on a nice clear day you can watch them enter the nets in 25ft of water :):)

Cool idea... :)

Not so good of the jetty but of the boat I like the little plastic pots u can buy.I usually cut a pillie up in 2/3 pieces, use at least 2/3 pillies per pot.Crabs cant resist pilly smell, add an extra pilly to the pot every 1/2 hour or so.Even fish heads, the smells good for about 45mins max. after that u still get crabs but they really taper off. Replace or replenish bait min at least every 45mins to 1 hr.

we used to use just one big net in the boat... most we pulled was 9 in one pull...have to remeber to pull fast, as if they are not tangled in the net, then can and do escape.good luck when a big stingray finds the net... you will know you have one of them when you go to pull the net, and it feels like your pulling a sack of wheat up.