Cockle Season Closure Feared

We have been waiting for this news to break. I got a phone call this morning to say there was a report on ABC Radio today and this was on the net.Cockle season closure fearedPosted 1 hour 46 minutes ago The Southern Fishermen's Association says the Goolwa cockle season could be closed next year if there is not a growth in stock numbers.The South Australian Government has halved this season's Goolwa cockle allowable catch to 300 tonnes and the harvesting season will begin a month later in December.Association president Gary Hera-Singh says it is hoped the measures could help prevent a crisis in the industry."We are very concerned about the future of cockles, particularly with continued low flows and the impact that's having on our cockle stocks," he said."We believe that if we don't get on top of over-harvesting in the last four to five years then we expect the stocks to be in serious crisis, possibly even a closure of the season next year if things don't start to turn around."Fisheries Minister Paul Caica says the Government will do what it takes to help cockle stocks recover."Well we'll have to have a look at what will occur during this current season, the reality is that we will have to monitor how this season goes before we contemplate ... a further reduction next season," he said."We will do whatever is necessary to make sure we have a sustainable cockle industry going forward in this state."Tags: fishing-aquaculture, goolwa-5214, mount-gambier-5290

plenty of alternative and viable baits to be used to target the fish that take cockles. ive seen the cockle bars down near my shack decimated over the years and now its nearly impossible to get a bucket of them for personal usage from the very same bars i use to pick from as a kid and sell for pocket money to the guys next door.

Hopefully they shut the fishery down for a year to let stocks recover a bit although it will probably take longer than that. Its a pity that they are suffering in numbers as they are now, hopefully with better management numbers will improve! Although I use a fair few cockles I prefer using squid tentacles as bait as they don't get pinched as easily :) and free compared to cockles! Although if you look at how much I lose on squid jags per year...

• 2 weeks later...

It really needs to be done though, was down there the 2nd day after the opening & comparing it too last year we where shocked. Hardly any legals left at all & after 5 hours could not even manage 300. In previous years there used to be heaps of big ones around & was very easy to get your bag limit. Now its all just small ones with the very odd legal mixed in, a sad site.

T BONE wrote:

It really needs to be done though, was down there the 2nd day after the opening & comparing it too last year we where shocked. Hardly any legals left at all & after 5 hours could not even manage 300. In previous years there used to be heaps of big ones around & was very easy to get your bag limit. Now its all just small ones with the very odd legal mixed in, a sad site.

yet if i go to where is get my goolwa cockles, i can get 300 in less than an hour, and not one will be undersize...they will all be huge, and the last lot, we didnt get anything under 80mm... biggest was 97mm, or almost 4 inchs in the old scale.they are that big, that after salting them to toughen then up, we get 3 -4 baits out of one cockle.