I guess its sorta fishing related so it can go in this section.Yesterday i went to try a new spot that requires a fair old hike to get to.I had my 12 year old lad with me,and we were both enjoying the hike in,very steep tracks and good for the fitness.Up on the left of the track we saw a mob of roos,that casually bounded off except one young one,that hopped across the track and over the other side.I watched it and it headed off to where there was a HUGE big male,I saw the big one go out of sight.We kept walking about 50 metres when I heard a noise coming from behind,turned and the huge male was coming straight at usand i realised he meant business,I grabbed the landing net off my lad,held it up like a spear and he stopped about 3 metres away.He reared up on his hind legs and grunted,here i was standing my ground,here he was sizing me up,and man was he intimidating,huge with muscles like arnie and looking pretty bloody p##3 off.This mexican stand off went for about 30 seconds,which felt like forever,i was fairly shttng myself to be honest,I think the fact there was 2 of us he thought better then bounded off.Seriously if he had decided to go the other option it would of been real nasty,he woulda made mince meat outta me.We got out of there and it shook us both up a bit.I am wondering what may of happened if been alone or even at night where I wouldnt of seen him coming.Cheers B)

Cal wrote:

I heard a noise coming from behind,turned and the huge male was coming straight at usand i realised he meant business, B)

I'd say he was looking after his harem Cal :) From your description it sounds like he back-tracked to get around behind you which seems odd for a male roo.They sure can be intimidating, even badly injured ones aren't always scared to have a go at you either :blink: Sounds like you're pretty lucky you didn't come off the worse for wear!

Sounds like a terrifying experience Cal.Glad to here you both survived unscathed.A word of warning for any one with dogs. Don't ever let your dog chase a roo into water ,like a farm dam.I heard stories but thought they were urban myths till I heard these two from personal friends.I have friends that live near Macclesfield.One night about three years ago, while walking with his dog and kids the dog flushed a big roo out of some bushes.The roo headed straight for the dam followed by the dog.As it was deep water the roo was able to keep its head above water while it held the dog under with its front legs until the dog drowned.The dog was a very large much loved crossbread.Only a couple of months ago a second friend had a similar experience and his young springer spaniel chased o roo into his dam at Cherry Gardens.Luckily in this case the dam was smaller and the dog escaped,it did however suffer some nasty injuries which left its intestines hanging .Many stitches and a large vet bill ensured his dog survived the ordeal.

Cal wrote:

I am wondering what may of happened if been alone or even at night where I wouldnt of seen him coming.Cheers B)

You would have got the bejesus belted out of you if you were lucky , if you were unlucky you wouldn't have made it back. A few days ago a guy was jogging in Canberra and got attacked by a roo , the thing hit him and knocked him out , luckily he only ended up with a cut and bruising and a sore head. In Sunbury ( Melbourne ) there have been 2 attacks lately , one on a guy walking his dog and the other was a guy jogging. Where I live we see them all the time coming closer into town and in Geelong the other day one went on the rampage scaring all and sundry.Ozzy
Cal wrote:

,put it this way,there was more than one reason I stood and faced it,If i"d turned around things could of got nasty in unthinkable ways,and believe me i was quite aware of it.

He never said the buck thought you were attractive Cal :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: He might have been lucky his "jewel bag" didnt end up as a purse in Cals pocket ;)