Spool maintenance

For those like myself who have never worked on a spool and want to do maintenance, a word of advice.If you need to check drag washers , put your reel in say an empty ice cream container, put spool in container, with a small pair of pliers get hold of spring then cover as much as possible with a clothand pull spring out.This will prevent spring taking of and losing it like I did, very fortunate to get one from tackle store.

Ranger wrote:

I'm not normally one to laugh at the misfortune of others...........hang on, YES I AM!Have a karma point for making me laugh! :P

Thank you Ranger, you might like to have a look in your shed because they way it took off, ( did not see it but certainly heard it) it could well be floating around in your shed :)
Guest shagging
Ranger wrote:

I'm not normally one to laugh at the misfortune of others...........hang on, YES I AM!Have a karma point for making me laugh! :P

you think that was funny i thought i would be clever and service my shimano 4000! i recently posted i might take it to a proffesional then thought na i try it myself!........................ :unsure: um just a question is the reel supposed to turn?and im pretty sure the grinding noise was not there before i started!ah must have miss placed a few washers when i hosed down the insides too get the old grease off! :unsure::unsure::laugh:

I've done that before with the little circlip that's under the nut that holds the handle on an overhead. You need to pry the thing off so the drag stack can be removed from the sideplate. First time I did it the thing came flying off and I hear it hit something then spent the next half-hour on my hands and knees feeling around on the carpet. Luckily that time I found it, and now I use the ice cream tub trick.Another time, after I'd serviced a few of my reels and was feeling like a pro, I decided to open up a Penn 330, as soon as I got the sideplate about a centimeter open a couple of springs came shooting out of the reel. Now I'm missing the springs and I have no idea where in the reel they even came from. It ended well though, I found the springs and after studying the exploded diagram for quite some time I figured out where the springs belonged, but it was hell getting them to stay in the proper place and get get the reel closed up again.So now I'm fairly confident at repairing most of my stuff, but there's still a few reels that go to the shop because it's much less aggravating to let someone else deal with them!