BURLEY IDEAS FOR SALMON IN THE SURF!!!!

I believe slamming a star dropper into the sand, and tying a rope with a hessian bag full of old pillies frozen in a block of tuna oil is the go. The bag goes in and out with the surf.I've only done it once, and we did ok that day. Very easy to lose a star dropper and a hessian bag :laugh:

Haha there were a few salmon caught where I was at waitpinga the other day. Near the end of the session I hooked onto something heavy and when I eventually dragged it in I had caught a metal rod spike with a burley bag attached :) There was still quite a lot of burley in the bag.. mainly smashed crabs and pillies. So I suppose that worked, hahahaha.Try as I might I kept on fishing but could not catch the rod that I was praying had been washed out with the rod holder...

I generally employ both the above tactics but not generally both at once, If I'm fishing a gutter that we have easy access to (say by 4wd) then star droppers are the go. But if not I'll generally ditch the bag and dropper and dig the burley in, and get a decent trail started by plopping a stack of oil in to draw them in quickly.

I use a berley spring with catfood curry bread crumbs and oatsThe oats make it very sticky and doesnt wash out and can be used as a weightIf you use this on the bottom and run a paternoster above with two droppers, the bottom one with a bait and the one above with a saltwater fly about 45cm apart with 20cm droppersThe berley cage bounces along the botam stirring the sand then if you get into a fish theres a chance the shoal will chase the hooked fish and take the fly.... :woohoo: I did this out the back of a boat in the port with one bait and 5 flies tied above, got a full house much to my mates disbelief.............then found out it was illegal in SA :side: Another trick is to tie a 10 meter lenth of line to a coke bottle, when you catch the first salmon hook him to this and toss him back. He'll most likely head back to the shoal. You can then follow in the boat at a distance and cast to the bottle to catch his brothers and sisters. You can even gaff him back in when you've had enoughI learnt this on KI from a local who sprayed the inside of his coke bottles with a flouro paint can to make them easier to see :blink:

If i really want to get into some salmon, il fill a bucket with all old fish,squid,cockles,bread and anything else tht will get nice and stinky.il put the lid on the bucket and leave it in my shed for about 2-3days before going fishing, then went i get to the beach il just put the contents into a hessian bag with a surf spike and put it in the water about knee deep. Always works for me.FSW