advice for fly fishing

hey all. i want to get a fly combo but not sure what tog et so if anyone has any suggestions or any for sale that would be great. thanks C_MAN {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

Crab man a bit more info might help like what you will be fishing for like Trout ,Bream,Mulloway Murray Cod.

Crab man,Get yourself a nicely balanced 6wt outfit. It doesn't have to cost you a fortune but as with everything the better the quality the more you will pay. I have some really expensive flyrods in all different wieghts and the one I enjoy using the most is an old Silstar flyrod that I've just given a rebuild that I use out of the yak for bream e.t.c. You don't have to spend heaps until you work out whether or not you enjoy flyfishing. One thing I would advise you is , a cheap line is always a cheap line and will mostly cast and behave like a cheap line. Buy yourself a good intermediate line and you will have most bases covered to start you off. Work out what you want to spend then let us know and we may be able to advise you on some half decent gear. Hope this helps.Cheers Darren

Crab man,Get yourself a nicely balanced 6wt outfit. It doesn't have to cost you a fortune but as with everything the better the quality the more you will pay. I have some really expensive flyrods in all different wieghts and the one I enjoy using the most is an old Silstar flyrod that I've just given a rebuild that I use out of the yak for bream e.t.c. You don't have to spend heaps until you work out whether or not you enjoy flyfishing. One thing I would advise you is , a cheap line is always a cheap line and will mostly cast and behave like a cheap line. Buy yourself a good intermediate line and you will have most bases covered to start you off. Work out what you want to spend then let us know and we may be able to advise you on some half decent gear. Hope this helps.Cheers Darren

Darren knows more than me and IMHO he is correct a 6 weight is all you really need in places like west lakes .But you will still get broken off from time to time {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif not looking in the mirror at any one {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifSalmon Trout on a 6 weight fly with bait fish busting the surface and banging into your legs. And the ST'S grabbing your fly off the surface before it can sink .Nothing like it a great rush .Then the big fish grab your fly and your mono breaks {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gifI am sorry I can not put it any better in the written word.Just something you need to try.Cheers

Yak,I use a Scientific Angler striper 4 full sinking line with a floating prawn that I tie up. Only have your leader about 60 to 90 cms long , cast out , let the line sink until its on the bottom then very very slowly strip the line back in. What this does is, when you strip the line the prawn wiggles to towards the bottom. When you stop it wiggles back towards the surface. The reason for the sort leader is you can keep it on the bottom in the strike zone in any depth of water you choose to fish the fly in and the shrimp fly looks like it's hovering over the weed or rocks e.t.c. With this setup you can fish any depth of water from 60cms deep. I haven't tried it in the yak yet , only off the shore but next time up some certain creeks around here , this method is going to get a thorough workout. Hope this helps and heres a pic of the fly I use.Cheers DarrenP.S. Also works with these other flies aswell. size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/qvpilqq7__2006_1217shrimpfly0011.JPG[/img] size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/6LzCUXyL__GURGLERS_AND_CREASEFLIES.JPG[/img]

Thankyou for you advice Fishnuts, sounds interesting!! While i was hoping for some enlightenment, the technique you described blew me away, what a great idea! I never would have thought of using a short leader technique like that. I must admit i mostly use the wand for trout in Spring but ive got a spare reel and want to try a full sink.Thanks again Yak.

I changed from floating to a full sinking line last winter .Would have been nice if I had bought my waders last winter as well {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifI am hoping this winter to have a much better run at getting into the Salmon that haunt the lake.Have already caught a few Salmon Trout so far this year.Bream over winter are few and far between for me in the past.

Love those flies fishnuts, awsome {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHave to disagree with ya about the 6# but :-[i reckon a 6# would be far tooo hard for a begginner to cast many of the bream flies. Once connected no worries u could land a 15 lb mullie on a 6#. But trying to cast some of those heavier baitfish patterns would be near impossible, especially land based or with a bit of wind. I would go as far as saying an 8# would be a far better option for a beginner. Way easier to cast way more forgiving. ;D Chasing those reddies or larger salmon with a clouser or deceiver would also be no prob for an 8# but near impossible for a novice with a 6# My two cents ;D

Nick,I understand where your coming from but you can't catch fish if you frighten the crap out of them by slapping down an 8wt line over their heads. Most flies for bream ,as you know are fairly small and are easily handled with a 6wt. I agree with you about the 8wt if your fishing clousers for sambo, flathead e.t.c. but who uses clousers for bream, not to say it can't be done but they don't get used as a go to fly for bream very often . Crab man is looking for an outfit to catch Bream, reddies and trout going by his first posting, thats why I suggested the 6wt. I think you are getting his "reddies" mixed up mate, in his post as I took this to mean redfin, not snapper {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif as he says he's fishing freshwater. So mate can I ask, what size hooks and flies do you chuck at bream {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif. I still reckon a 6wt is a good wieght for newbies to begin with, anymore or less than that is stunt fishing and of little value to someone who is learning {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif. This is only my opinion and as everyone knows "Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif Cheers Darren

Love those flies fishnuts, awsome {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHave to disagree with ya about the 6# but :-[i reckon a 6# would be far tooo hard for a begginner to cast many of the bream flies. Once connected no worries u could land a 15 lb mullie on a 6#. But trying to cast some of those heavier baitfish patterns would be near impossible, especially land based or with a bit of wind. I would go as far as saying an 8# would be a far better option for a beginner. Way easier to cast way more forgiving. ;D Chasing those reddies or larger salmon with a clouser or deceiver would also be no prob for an 8# but near impossible for a novice with a 6# My two cents ;D

Hey There big nick .I seem to think back to being out on your boat I had no worries casting your 8weight or my 6 weight .And I had caught less fish back then .And thanks for the addiction to Salmon trout just can never get enough of them {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif You are very correct with your heavier flies and wind no way in the world.But that is the fun of learning .You learn what you can not cast and what you can.and buying flies for those that can not tie you learn what works and what doesn't.Something I learn't when I started WADING .It doesn't matter which way the wind blows if you can turn your back to it {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifThere were days with a HOT 18 to 20 knot NW wind blowing I caught BREAM.The next day it was a cool 20knots to the south I caught fish. As long as the wind is at your back or over a shoulder you can catch fish.Wind is not our friend as a fly guy unless you can use it to your advantage!!IMHO in FLY FISHING 2 RULES 1 have fun if it ain't fun go home!!2 Its not all about the fish you catch but that you learn something and enjoy the view.There is a third rule I should have followed two weeks ago which is .When Wading in Saltwater do not wade in a baitfishers burley trail .As big fish with perhaps teeth may bang into your wading boots {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheersJust my thoughtsPSIf you can cast a 6weight you will be able to cast an 8 weight.

In my defense ;)MJ, u been at it for a few years now mate, think back to your first casts, I can still remember your initial 50 posts :D Rememeber the difficulties u had, {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifFN, Reddies ( redfin ) {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif love big bulky flies, Ive caught em on tiny nymphs but reddies and bream for that matter love big baitfish flies. I concur that a 6# is a great place to start for trout. My prefered outfit for stream fishing for trout is my 3#. However there is a world of difference between fishing the fresh for trout and fishing the salt for bream and other salty prey. Your bream rod should be able to double for a salmon rod, should a school be going past and u wanna through some decent flies at em, especially for a beginner, no better fish to cut ya teeth on than the Aussie salmon. :DStill reckon if you are gonna fish the salt predominantly and 8# would be an easier place to start. If you intend to fish the fresh than a 6# may be a better option for you. :P Then again you could do what I did and split the difference and buy a 7# for ya first outfit {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

I had my first play with Tonkas fly set-up last night,i think it was a 7#,it wasn't easy but i reckon as a novice i could of cast well enough to catch a fish....if i was casting into the water that is. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif cheers brenton

Just to stick my nose in to the great mans fly outfit its a 6 {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

In my defense ;)MJ, u been at it for a few years now mate, think back to your first casts, I can still remember your initial 50 posts :D Rememeber the difficulties u had, {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifFN, Reddies ( redfin ) {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif love big bulky flies, Ive caught em on tiny nymphs but reddies and bream for that matter love big baitfish flies. I concur that a 6# is a great place to start for trout. My prefered outfit for stream fishing for trout is my 3#. However there is a world of difference between fishing the fresh for trout and fishing the salt for bream and other salty prey. Your bream rod should be able to double for a salmon rod, should a school be going past and u wanna through some decent flies at em, especially for a beginner, no better fish to cut ya teeth on than the Aussie salmon. :DStill reckon if you are gonna fish the salt predominantly and 8# would be an easier place to start. If you intend to fish the fresh than a 6# may be a better option for you. :P Then again you could do what I did and split the difference and buy a 7# for ya first outfit :-[

I wasn't having ago at you Nick .You got me hooked on Salmon {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifYou know there is a great dvd/video on casting helped me out greatly can not think of its name american from the 80's i think . 50 posts is about right to nick.mind you I have learnt my lesson also about trying to catch Bream that are watching you and eating burley lol.Trout as you know I know nothing except they are ferals (that will get me some trouble lol). But I have done a hell of a lot of reading on FF all forms of.And despite the fact that the big buggers have broken me off I love my 6 weight.BUT there is some talk on another Fly fishing forum we both haunt Nick that has a section called Micro Fly fishing and they would call 6 weight heavy.Some of those guys are mad Tarpon on a 3weight i think in singapore.Anyway its really up to the individual .Did once talk to a fly tackle rep who did say to me learn on a 6 weight and go up from there.Now I have had my say the next time we meet I will be skiing behind a huge Mulloway holding onto my 6 weight.Cheershave a good one nick {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif
Guest xtrafishyfish

Watch out guys, brenton is a natural as I kept telling him last night. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif (at work)I didn't want to overload him with the do's and dont's of casting, just gave him the very basics to have a try. And he did quite well first time with a fly rod.His coffee cup was the target, and he was on the mark in a very short time. (half hour lunch break) Well done mate!He was using my first outfit, a #7 weight with some flouro fluff on the end..Has to work his way up to use 'my baby' sorry {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

G'day Nick,Well on this one mate I think we'll have to agree to disagree {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifI don't see the need to throw an 8wt line at Bream and I know my 6wt can throw any fly I wish to at a school of sambos that just happen to pass by. With the 6wt I can and do throw flies tied on hooks up to size 2 in any baitfish pattern or otherwise. I do agree an 8wt comes in handy for clouser fishing but when it comes to finesse fishing for bream, I'm sorry mate but the 6wt wins hands down. Also if you really want to have some fun , mate get that 3wt up some creeks and really test it out on some angry snag bream, you'll love it {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif. The thing I like about this sort of stuff is that we all have our different ways of doing stuff and that's what makes it interesting {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif As crabman was asking for help in choosing an outfit and we can't all agree on what it should be, I think it's more important to get good casting basics down pat first as this will allow you to cast any flyrod outfit you pick up {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif.So crabman,Try and get some good tuition in casting and the rest will sort itself out. If you can't find someone to teach you around here maybe look at joining a club as they can be very helpfull when you're starting out and try out as many different wieght rods that you can get access to.Also Nick,My second outfit was a 7wt and I loved using it for sambos around the breakwater with a full sinking line, that was until I got a 6wt S/8 OUTBOUND line that actually works better. Hehehehehehe {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif You use a 9wt for that don't ya {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifCheers mateDarren

Watch out guys, brenton is a natural as I kept telling him last night. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif (at work)He was using my first outfit, a #7 weight with some flouro fluff on the end..Has to work his way up to use 'my baby' sorry {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

Awww Shucks.... {SMILIES_PATH}/kiss.gifseriously though it was goood fun and its something i,ll have to put on the to do list.By the sound of it i,m still a long way off getting my hands on "my baby" {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif cheers brenton

MJ, weve met mate, U should know my skins tougher than a rhinos ;DEverything I post is always with a bit of tongue in cheek. Hope its taken that way {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifIts good to get some differences of oppinion and the fly section with some healthy discussions. Yeah very funny DAZZA ;), my preffered bream outfit is my 5p 5#. I always used to use smaller flies, little micro Crazy Charlies, Baited breaths, but even as the soft plastics guys are all working out, big bream smack BIG LURES AND BIG PLASTICS. ..............................Fishing the breakwalls whilst the tide is running for salmon, a full sink 6# line will merely float on the surface, whereas a promptly cast sinking 8# may still make it to the STRIKE ZONE {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifFinesse - ing a 6# is all well and good for you and maybe MJ , but not for a novice.Easier fore a novice to add two feet of fluro carbon to their leader than cast a heavy fly with a 6#. :P I am obviously outnumbered here crabman, I may have to rethink my position. Nah {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Predominantly salt go an 8#, You will cast further, easier, with heavier flies, in all conditions. Your oufit will be more versatile, flatties in the flats, snook, snapper, bream small mullies. You will be able to cast all available flies even clousers and crazy charlies with lead eyes for your bottom bouncing instead of small bream and tommies on trout flies. {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Once you master your 8# then you will be in a better position to decide if you should go lighter with your next outfit.Great to hear Big Brenton, may have to go hit those salmon together. Good onya Big T for introducing someone to "the finer art of fishing"Well bring the 12# just for good measure :D

Watch out guys, brenton is a natural as I kept telling him last night. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif (at work)I didn't want to overload him with the do's and dont's of casting, just gave him the very basics to have a try. And he did quite well first time with a fly rod.His coffee cup was the target, and he was on the mark in a very short time. (half hour lunch break) Well done mate!He was using my first outfit, a #7 weight with some flouro fluff on the end..Has to work his way up to use 'my baby' sorry {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

And you have started him off on Fluro fluff well done ray Next he will be wanting fluro green flies {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifBy the way that green nail polish is hard to come by.

G'day Nick,Isn't it funny we haven't heard from Crabman in this discussion {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif Maybe we've confused the poor bugger that much he doesn't know which way to go {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif You make some valid points about the 8wt , especially the one about adding a couple of feet of flurocarb leader {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifI know the current at the breakwater runs hard but in all honesty the Rio Outbound S8 6WT has never floated on the surface {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif It goes down at 8 inches a second and stays down there. I suppose it all comes down to what time of the day and stage of the tide you prefer to fish {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifI've never used crazy charlies, baited breaths or flies of that size for bream because I don't see bream using up energy to chase something so small, well not the large bream anyway. I have learnt by soft plastics fishing that bream like decent sized baits also, so that's why I use a 50mm prawn fly that I came up with and also found fuzzel buggers and flies of that size are great.So will I rethink my position , nah not for one second {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif. As he's still looking for a rod to use for Bream, trout and redfin I still think an 8wt is NOT the right rod for what he wants {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifWhen I catch up with you one day, remind me to give you some of these to try, it may change your mind {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif but only if you use them on a 6wt {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifCheers Darren size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/x3JoeiQw__bream_prawns_2.jpg[/img] size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/LyLbdcQS__bream_prawns_1.jpg[/img]

Darren makes some good points re Flies. I have caught some Bream on small flies but a lot more on larger flies. IMHO The Smaller the fly for Bream the less chance it has of working.They seem to need in the case of my flies a tail to latch onto and in some cases swallow.Posted Image as this small Bream did on a beach at West lakes.The longer tail on bream Flies does mean a few more tail spits by smaller fish.Mind you when fish that small are taking flies and chasing off the bigger boys do you really need an 8 weight. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif