Tackle stores closing doors..WHY ?

Guest fishum

Is it possible for some one to pin point the reason why so many tackle stores are closing there doors,mainly in the eastern states.The AU dollar is good,we?ve had a long hot summer and I?m sure the stores have had good sales.Has ebay caused this or overseas sellers offering 30-50% cheaper for the same reel,rod or fishfinder/gps.Things may get worse as we are about to get into winter and the family guy won?t be out there with the wife and kids = less salesLike to here your thoughts on this.

The internet (Ebay...etc) would have a lot to do with it along with your big variety stores (K-Mart) having a better quailty (than what they use to stock, not better than tackle stores) and having more buying power than any smaller store. Maybe the scare of there being no fish in 40 years has scared them out of business.... {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifCheersPaul

Hard to pinpoint reasons why in foreign state. {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifThe reasons already suggested certainly would contribute to their downfall, as too would the location of the store - things like nearby competition from other tackle stores and the socio-economic climate of the location, for example. Perhaps even the store not catering fully to the product demands of their clientelle..?? {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifI'd say location would be one of the most integral parts of operating a quality store and it not having closeby competition . In my memory, I can remember there being 3 main tackle stores in Port Adelaide, all within 2 Dustin Fletcher torpedo punts of each other. 10yrs later, only 1 of those stores remain. {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifBut unable to answer your question from lil' ol' SA.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers,Wino

Small hint guy's, starts with L, ends in Y sounds like royalty.Still struggling??? Try LOYALTY or lack of it.Last I heard Koonta was still trying to get propellor advise from Bunnings, where he happened to save $20 bucks on a bit of wood & Simsmetal for a bit of Aluminum, wonder if they could help him with his boats sagging bum? Too bad his local Hardware closed waiting. I bet he could have matched those prices if asked. You will see many more stores close in the coming months, increased costs of operation (wages, electricity, rent etc), massive increases in freight charged to stores, substantial price increases of product mainly due to raw material costs escalating (most stores have been absorbing these rises to keep prices down).Most tackle store owners currently work 60-80 hours a week & in most cases for less than the average wage, WOULD YOU? How current is your store owners vehicle? Interstate the rollout of over 40 BCF stores (owned by Supercheap) throughout most eastern & western states has taken it's toll, but in most cases the stores affected were on their dying legs anyway.Obviously other issues such as interest rates with Sydney's average home loan of over 400k & QLD weather patterns this year will factor in the big picture.It is unlikely Adelaide will see these guy's for a bit yet as the market is so tiny & more competitive than anywhere in the country, the expected impact will be about the same as the opening of Ray's, Anaconda, Amart etc. NIL.Finatic

I seriously looked at setting up a store under a certain franchise during the last 12mths, and I was under no impression other than such a 'career' being one of lifestyle, and certainly not conducive to getting out and wetting a line as often as you'd like. The same goes for most people who involve themselves in the fishing industry as their chosen profession, such as charter operators, for example..At the end of the day, it's of utmost importance for us all to support our local tackle stores - LOYALTY, as finatic has mentioned - if we want them to continue to exist. One of the biggest problems for a lot of people these days - as finatic alluded to - is the current economical climate. >:( I used to buy $40 of stuff as a minimum from my local tackle store each fortnight. Thanks to the smarmy little parasite who now governs this country, that is a thing of the past. >:( It's gonna get worse and small businesses will suffer and be wound up. {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> Unfortunately it's inevitable. {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifCheers,Wino

OOPS I did forget the EBAY thing, most onsong stores are very aware of the prices offered on EBAY & the various net sellers, so much so that we often set our prices according to those offered on the net.Unfortunately for us we have the expenses of running shopfronts & pay staff to offer you the opportunity of looking & touching product, this costs money. I personally will never be beaten on price, if I find myself unable to match (has not happened yet) simply the problem will be shifted to my suppliers as they are responsible for also supplying these net traders.I encourage you all to do your research, find the best price, apples & apples only, not a banana or 2 thrown in as you could appreciate happens often, then show us your loyalyty. I can only suggest try to get any shopfront to help with a potential warranty claim arising from a net purchase & then see where the loyalty sits. Couldn't begin to tell you how many Pirahna, Omoto, Rainbow or Saratoga blow ups I've had the pleasure of putting in my trash & then picking up a sale from. Sad part is, these bargains have now been bought twice & have only kept some back yard benny trading rather than your local doing overtime.My advice, pay a little more, buy quality once, not garbage twice, have somebody you can rely on for backup via the appropriate channels & enjoy your purchases. Fishin' is what it's about not repairing. Finatic

Thanks to the smarmy little parasite who now governs this country,

I would say this parasite has a lot to answer for with this situation {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifDid I vote for him? My conscience is clear. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifAnyone noticed he doesn't look so happy on the telly like he used to?
Guest fishum

I was just having a look through and came across an okuma V system V55 model selling here at a popular online tackle store,which are being sold and delivered for $270.Overseas $151 at your door.Going into your tackle store and asking price matching as some suggest ?loyalty? will just be laughed at .I did forget too that some of these tackle stores closing have a large fleet boat sales.

I was just having a look through and came across an okuma V system V55 model selling here at a popular online tackle store,which are being sold and delivered for $270.Overseas $151 at your door.Going into your tackle store and asking price matching as some suggest ?loyalty? will just be laughed at .

this is the problem I see!Tacklestores are sruggling and having to compete with more competition, ebay, overseas sellers, etc, etc, so they want our business more than ever!At the same time though, EVERYONE is struggling. Record housing costs, interest/mortgage rate rises, record fuel costs, rising food costs, etc, etc, and we've all had to tighten our belts and try to save a few bucks wherever we can to make ends meet!I too operate a small business, and I'm feeling the pinch like everyone else! I'm not making the profits I was 2-3 years back, hence I'm not purchasing the quantities of tackle I was back then either. I cant tell everyone to use MY service more, coz I know the majority of my clients are struggling with their own rising costs of meeting their day to day living expenses.We still like to show loyalty to our local stores, and when you're only talking a few dollars difference here or there, ya should show loyalty, but given the huge savings to be made by shopping overseas or bidding on ebay, which we know tacklestores can't possibly match, wouldn't it be crazy to pass over such large savings?I purchased a sounder from overseas and in the process saved myself just over $500 in the process. No-one here could ever match that price, and who has the right to tell me I shouldn't take that saving? I'm sure a proportion of the saving I made on that sounder was re-invested in other tackle items, which DID come from my local tacklestore.Yes, we want to support our local, and we do when we can, but we also want to support ourselves, our families, and our mortgages, or we wont be fishing at all.
Guest fishum

I too am in business and I can?t find enough time in the day to get all my work done.i have been busier that ever before in entertainment/communications industry I?m even passing on 50% of my work to some one else.How come ? people are staying home more now due to fuel cost,food increase prices and probably cold weather.But still I see some fishers wanting to spend $2000-$3000 on fishing gear and will shop overseas If the saving is 40- 50%.

Fishum, I hear you, as 2 weeks ago I heard Westlakes pleading for a Brandzino, he was full of it, are you too? Here's the deal, I will take your $151 all day long for a vs55, what you won't see is after you collect it (unlikely) I will hammer my supplier to make good my losses, I have staff to pay, gst to factor, insurance & rent & surprise, kids to feed just like most of you guys. Are you up to it? I am, so lets show that you're big enough & refresh this post when its done. Finatic

full of it fanatic what are you talking about??? :-\ {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />i asked how much ur branzino's u accidently made a mistake and then yakattaknrat sent me an email telling me the exact price and that finatic had made a misquoted u and i responded no problem mate wouldnt mind coming down there one day and picking up some more lures anyway.

I have a mate who buys off e-bay all the time, some of the stainless steel items are starting to rust already, eyelets are coming unbound off the rods, hooks dont appear to be as sharp as they should be, some of his so called bargain reels dont wind smoothly and get stuck part way doing the job, yes he has saved himself quite a few bob in the process, and is starting to listen to what i have been telling him.I never buy in K-Mart or Big W, I always look at their products when I am in one of their stores, try and keep their prices in my head and make a comparison with a tackle store when I want to make a purchase, ask the owner what is his best price for what ever i want, they normally give a good deal $$$ wise, backup service, and after spending some $$$ with them they always give good info on what, where and when the fish are active. Bet you wont get that sort of deal at the 2 Big players and e-bay.[/color:2bgqhfwc]

Small hint guy's, starts with L, ends in Y sounds like royalty.Still struggling??? Try LOYALTY or lack of it.Last I heard Koonta was still trying to get propellor advise from Bunnings, where he happened to save $20 bucks on a bit of wood & Simsmetal for a bit of Aluminum, wonder if they could help him with his boats sagging bum? Too bad his local Hardware closed waiting. I bet he could have matched those prices if asked. You will see many more stores close in the coming months, increased costs of operation (wages, electricity, rent etc), massive increases in freight charged to stores, substantial price increases of product mainly due to raw material costs escalating (most stores have been absorbing these rises to keep prices down).Most tackle store owners currently work 60-80 hours a week & in most cases for less than the average wage, WOULD YOU? How current is your store owners vehicle? Interstate the rollout of over 40 BCF stores (owned by Supercheap) throughout most eastern & western states has taken it's toll, but in most cases the stores affected were on their dying legs anyway.Obviously other issues such as interest rates with Sydney's average home loan of over 400k & QLD weather patterns this year will factor in the big picture.It is unlikely Adelaide will see these guy's for a bit yet as the market is so tiny & more competitive than anywhere in the country, the expected impact will be about the same as the opening of Ray's, Anaconda, Amart etc. NIL.Finatic

I did respond to this earlier but removed my response as it was inappropriate .Not going to say what I said before .How can you say loyalty to a fly fisherman in Adelaide there is hardly anyone who handles the stuff.well most stores do but they don't know alot about the products .Way back when i wanted to put line on my then NEW fly reel (it was a gift),I entered one shop(not the one I mentioned in the removed post) .First he said the price was $120 .He could see I was shaken with the price silly me thinking fly gear was not that dear {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif.He went from $120 to $65 in one breath .still I didnt have that much money on me .Short time latter(well a couple of months) on Ebay flyline looked the same as I was offered Sinking etc $19.95 delievered .Now I was ripped off on postage as i was charged $5 and it was around $1 on the stamp .This came from an Ebay shop in Adelaide !!How can you be loyal to a shop that says $120 then drops to $65.I was in retail/wholesale for a very long time no way you drop your price like he did that fast.And you end up buying it for under 20 bucks .Now I am not silly enough to think its the same quality but its been used to catch a fair few fish.Done the job I wanted it to do.You mentioned Rays in the above post .I was looking for Waders local tackle stores wanted from $56 to $ 60 bucks for the PVC ones.Walked into Rays great outdoors the same Waders $50 bucks the money I saved went straight into replacing my aged mono lines .To someone who is on or very nearly below the average wage every cent counts and if i can stretch the dollar further i will.And to quote house prices I think you need to check the real estate guide for Adelaide .Because your average prices for interstate are below what units in new port quays are going for.not to mention in areas closer to Adelaide .I know of units built and sold for around $400K facing a run down bank of the river Torrens .A year latter being sold for $550k or there abouts .And loyalty is a funny thing goes both ways .CheersHave a good one guys
Guest fishum

I have delt with one store on gulfview rd christies and they have looked after me for years but sometimes I will want something and they don?t carry it so I go overseas to get it as any other store doesn?t know me and won?t offer me the same $ saving as christies.I would prefer to pick up a rod and real and have a live look at it compared to a picture on the net.There are still a lot of tackle stores in the southern suburbs (5) and they still servive plus major stores at colonnades.One store showed me a stella 20000 for $1200 overseas price at door $785 where is the buyer going to buy it from.forgot to mention when i bought a reel of ebay private local seller..where pick up was ok.ended picking it up at a metro tackle store (tackle world) and at half price,highest bidder.

I'm guilty of ebay buying too, but it was a lesson learnt. The bargain Daiwa Capricorn reel that arrived in the post from Hong Kong looked identical to my other locally bought one, until I used it. The drag would slip badly, even when locked up. An internal comparison confirmed it was mutton dressed up as lamb. On the outside it said Daiwa, but the inside had cheap arsed fake written all over it (not literally of course {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif)

Thanks to the smarmy little parasite who now governs this country, that is a thing of the past. >:( It's gonna get worse and small businesses will suffer and be wound up. {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> Unfortunately it's inevitable. {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifCheers,Wino

What Utter bull, Way to show off your ecconomic credentials and totally ignore the situation of world economy. I personally attribute the downturn to Gelong winning the premiership! it makes as much sense! {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif

I think it's important for people to remember how much good advice is worth, something you will not get from an online store.I have bought all my big ticket items from one store, except for 1 reel which i had to act fast on(even now I feel like I've cheated on them!!). The reason i go to Salisbury Dive and Tackle World is because of the people behind the counter. I have recieved lots of good advice over the past few years. If you're looking at buying a new reel or rod, go ask them for some advice, even if you're not looking at the high end stuff, you'll see why I try and buy from them whenever I can.Aaron

I think it's important for people to remember how much good advice is worth,

And THAT'S the thing!!!I've predominantly shopped at one store, since the guy first took over the shop!When I first started shopping there quite a few years back, I noticed that his prices seemed a little higher than some of the other stores I'd been into, but he was pretty close by and convenient for me.Over the years I've gotten some good deals, been given some great advice, and benefitted from other loyalty schemes instituted by this store!Yep, sometimes I do pay a little more, but that doesn't bother me, and other times if I need to save bucks, I tell him of other prices I've seen around the traps, and he matches those prices for me!It's helping each other! I support a local business, and in return he gives me deals, discounts and snippets of info! I'm always welcome there if I need a bit of advice, and he let's me know of good catches, fishing trips, trade fairs, upcoming stock, new releases and changes in the industry. I can always have a play with the new line of reels there, see all the new lures out, or even borrow a rod to have a flick before purchasing. The kid at K-Mart can't do this for me!Do I only ever shop at this one store? Of course not! Just like my petrol, sometimes I need convenience, with terminal tackle, bait or a last minute item, but I always return to my local for the big ticket items!

Thanks to the smarmy little parasite who now governs this country

WinoI've got some good news for you {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifThat mendacious little sycophant was defeated in a general election last November. The lying rodent is gone. George Bush's poodle lost his seat to a girl and he now spends his time making surly speeches to his former neocon handlers in the USA. Or he's holed up in suburbia, not talking to anybody.There, I knew that would make your day {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifV

That mendacious little sycophant was defeated in a general election last November. The lying rodent is gone. George Bush's poodle lost his seat to a girl and he now spends his time making surly speeches to his former neocon handlers in the USA. Or he's holed up in suburbia, not talking to anybody.

A little tough dont ya think? After all, he did cut a swathing and manly figure in a tracksuit! Umm, now that I think about it, that's about all I've got to offer in his defence though!So maybe you are right after all. He's just an annoying little rodent, and I'm still glad I voted for SuperKevvy! I mean Kevin 07! I mean Mr K Rudd, who knows that Mandarin is more than just an acidic citrus fruit! Umm, what was the question again? Oh that's right, tacklestores! Is that where Johnnies gone now, Howard's Bait & Tackle? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Thanks to the smarmy little parasite who now governs this country, that is a thing of the past. >:( It's gonna get worse and small businesses will suffer and be wound up. {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> Unfortunately it's inevitable. {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifCheers,Wino

What Utter bull, Way to show off your ecconomic credentials and totally ignore the situation of world economy. I personally attribute the downturn to Geelong winning the premiership! it makes as much sense! {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif
My oath!!! 90% of Australia's fishermen and women are Geelong supporters {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif so when Geelong won the premiership they stopped buying fishing tackle and started buying Premiership memorabilia, sending Tackle store under!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifYou could be onto something!!! LMAO {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheersPaul