Cheers......... I hooked a larger one the day before got it to the shore it took one look at me, turned and snapped off {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif, only had light gear and was only going for salmon trout at the time. When its low tide you can walk out to the blue line and see them half burried in the sand. We tried to spear some huge one's but they where to quick.

Just on the subject of flathead, we all know how sharp the gill rakers and spines are on em, how easy it is to get cut by em, how painful these cuts can be, and how they persist in bleeding, because of the toxins involved.I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, or even if you guys consider it an old wives tale, but it's been suggested that rubbing the cut on the fishes belly helps.I considered this an old wives tale until I actually tried it, and it does have a soothing effect! Something to do with the slime, but I'm still not sure what!Just thought it might interest you if you weren't already aware of it!

Everytime butters and i go fishing he always cuts himself on something....knife, hook, squashes his finger in some pliers, flathead......anything!The flatthead belly slime helped relieve most of the pain from memory, but he still bled like a stuck pig! {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Guest Butters

haha yeah i remember that one.. was only a little bugger that got me too.. not sure if the belly slime worked but that flaty re-entered the water with a nice red burley trail {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Everytime butters and i go fishing he always cuts himself on something....knife, hook, squashes his finger in some pliers, flathead......anything!

That's just something for ya's to reflect upon and laugh about over a few drinks, when ya sit back and recall all ya past fishing trips! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifJust in case though, maybe ya better keep the number for the flyin doctor programmed into ya phone! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifDoes anyone know the number for "000?" {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Cheers......... I hooked a larger one the day before got it to the shore it took one look at me, turned and snapped off {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif, only had light gear and was only going for salmon trout at the time.

Always a good idea to back ya drag off a bit more than third the breaking strain of the line, even going for trouties, coz if something bigger grabs it, she's all over Rover! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif I've landed some large by-catch specimens down on Yorke's, including lizards, and landing them has basically hinged on being able to let them run and tire out. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif@ Ranger - it's reputed that the underside of the belly has certain anti-coagulent properties. Conversely, use a glove or towel and ya don't have to worry about getting spiked. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers,Wino

Caught it on cockles on a whiting rig, we where just mucking around going for a few salmon trout when the sun was going down. Hooked a big one a couple of nights before so after the days fishing we were just threw in a line, cought a few liitle KGW too. {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

Just on the subject of flathead, we all know how sharp the gill rakers and spines are on em, how easy it is to get cut by em, how painful these cuts can be, and how they persist in bleeding, because of the toxins involved.I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, or even if you guys consider it an old wives tale, but it's been suggested that rubbing the cut on the fishes belly helps.I considered this an old wives tale until I actually tried it, and it does have a soothing effect! Something to do with the slime, but I'm still not sure what!Just thought it might interest you if you weren't already aware of it!

I find that bouron or scotch helps too. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif