Hook sizes as a measurement?

Hi there, first post, please be kind :blush: Just wondering if anyone knows of a good reference for Hook sizes with their measurements in mm. Basically I snapped up a bunch of hooks on the bay of e (ebay) and the numbers on the boxes don't look right, think they're just a product number.Are there sizes for swivels too? I have no idea just been using what I've had since I was a kid.Any links or assistance would be great.CheersBjorn

There are no standardized hook sizes.They vary a fair bit between brands. Also Circle and Big Mouth Hooks can vary greatly from the same sized J Hook.In general terms a size 1 hook is a good size for bream. They get bigger in number as they get smaller. A size 4 or 6 is good for whiting upto a size 12 for gar and even size 20 for trout flies.For bigger hooks the sizing goes 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 upto 12/0 shark hooks are even bigger.You can find sizing charts for Mustad Hooks and I find these a good reference point as these are the brand I use most. But other makers will have differing sizes.