Help with bream luring

I know some pro bream guys are members here, and I would like advice on basics for bream luring technique.My boat is set up for offshore, so most of my bream fishing is done landbased port & westlakes.I use 2-4kg shimano 7ft sp rod with 6lb braid on a shimano Sedona 2500 reel. Use 4 - 8lb sunline leader wound on about 5 turns of the reel. My results have been less than spectacular, with summer approaching, some tips would be valuable, especially for an alternative to the snapper during november.Tight lines all

You've got the right gear.One bit of advice I would offer is to shorten the leader so that it's not wound onto the reel at all, and there's no chance then of that leader knot snagging loops of braid off the spool and creating a huge knot when you cast, or shortening your casting distance.Results never seem to come overnight when Brean fishing with lures, and most get a little disheartened in the beginning.Search around though, as there is endless reading material on the subject, and if you stick with it you will get results.Winter can be a bit tough in this game too, but now that the weather and water warms, you'll find it gets a bit easier and the fish get a bit more active.

Have the leader knot stopping just short of the reel. Unlike what you are probably used to, these aren't wind ons or shock leaders, and having the leader wound onto the spool just creates a problem for you with this light stuff.With Bream when you think you are winding/retrieving slowly, consciously slow down a little more, and always have plenty of stops and jerks rather than just a slow retrieve.Look for sheltered or shaded areas, calm water alongside a flow or eddies, snags, structure or changes in structure.Fish the deep water at low tide and the flats on high tide.Cast as close to structure as you possibly can. If you aren't hitting it, getting snagged or losing lures, you aren't casting in close enough.Samboman might make it look easy, but you're now aware on just how deceptive looks can be, and how much of a challenge catching these things can be when you leave bait out of the equasion!

All i can say is that i would highly reccomend you come down to the onk with a few strike pro pygmy range a spool of 5lb vanish. and fish from old noarlunga down throwing lures at the snags around this area i have best results casting past the snags bringin the lure down in front of it and then stopping right at the snag for about 3 seconds. it gives the bream time to notice its there. ive had a fair bit of luck using this technique. cheers Tp

A great way to get info is to look at the comp reports for the ABT rounds. Ok they maybe fishing different areas and from boats but the technics used can be adopted to any fishing location. It all about trial and error. A tip though is when first learning do not take bait with you or you will give up on the lures and use the bait.Ranger is dead right with the "slow down". Up home we called it the nutscratch.;) Or in other words, mid retrieve stop, have a scratch, hook the fish.:laugh:

Thanks mate' date=' i like the idea of shorter leader, plus that sunline is pricy stuff haha.And yeah I've been flicking through some of the older posts, guys like samboman make it look easy[/quote']Bream are very challenging fish to catch, but thats what makes them so much fun to catch;) It took me a long time to get the hang of sp's and catching bream consistently but once you get a few it does become easier... Like others have said slow twiches and pause's are the go..... and always watch you line;) Hard body lures are the same slow retrieve with a few pauses..... But the main factor is PATIENCE.... can be very slow going but stick with it and it will happen...Sambo

just remember fishing for bream in the onka south of the south road bridge is banned between 1st september to 30th of november.if your not having any luck in the port at the mo your not the only one its a bit quite down there.if you can fish during the week, if the bream fishing picks up we could meet up down the port & i'll give you a run out in my bream boat & you can see what its all about?