Heres a pic of the beast I caught last season off a local beach. Its head sat up at least a foot off the ground. Well over a 100kg easy it straightened my gaff trying to get him on the beach. We let him go after the pics.Sorry out the pic had to wait for my mate to drive down with a camera phone..Posted Image

congrats on your catch viddy. That's a monster. Glad the reel finally got some punishment. I've caught plenty of small ones around 20kg's but my mrs hooked a monster eagle ray about 100kg while she was 7 months pregnant. We didn't land it but we had it for about 20 mins and got it right to the shore. you're all better than me.

congrats on your catch viddy. That's a monster. Glad the reel finally got some punishment. I've caught plenty of small ones around 20kg's but my mrs hooked a monster eagle ray about 100kg while she was 7 months pregnant. We didn't land it but we had it for about 20 mins and got it right to the shore. you're all better than me.

yeah, thanks for that fredo. The reel did great.

Good Ray mate,the port has a lot of those puppies.We spent over an hour fighting one hooked from the boat near the quarentine station, 2 nice big jumps, before we got her to the boat, no way in the world that baby was coming on board tho.were about's were you mate, I have fished the Port alot but the spot doesn't look farmiliar.Ninja

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldnt say I am the biggest fan of hooking big rays,they can be a right pain when chasing Mullies from the beaches.But for testing out a new outfit the local stretches of sand can be a good testing field on monster Eaglies.This one was the biggest Eaglie I"ve ever caught, no idea of its weight, but was fishing for Elly sharks when it hooked up.The rod was a 12 foot uglystick, the heaviest most backbreaking thing I"ve ever used.Fair dinkum it put hurt on the ray but busted my nuts as well, I sold it not long after.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif Posted Image

People seem to find stingrays as a bit of a pest, but I reckon they are good fun, esspecially Eagle Rays. For their size, an Eagle ray would easily fight harder than a big shark. Smooth rays and Black rays on the other hand don't really fight at all but still can give a bit of exitement if nothing else is biting. I just don't understand when people say "just cut it off". At least give it a shot...

heres some pics of my elliston jetty trip in 1999 in the morning and arvos we fished lockswell beach for salmon and mid day we spent our time on the jetty This jetty is for those who like to have a crack at the eagly population it was mind blowing fishing at the time We landed 33 eaglys in 3 days and our best was 14 in 1 session in 1 photoe there is a tripple hook up and on the trip we had around 3 double hookups so if this is your thing i recommend this place

howdy guru eaglys are great fun they do fight hard i guess there comes a time when you do get tired of catching them especially when chasing snapper and butteries i loved catching them of our local jettied while chasing sharks back in the day i have many fond memories of catching them with my old sharky mates Is semaphore your stomping ground because it was mine many years ago but havent been back since the jetty blew down the best fish id seen there caught was a 75lb mulloway caught by a bloke called zac i was 15 at the time he was 14 caught at 4pm the bait was a small octopus straight out of a small bronzies gut even back then big sharks were hard to catch you could spend 5seasons with out hooking a big bad bronzie but these days it seems more commen dont know why

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Butters

hey butters i don't mean to be Crude but it looks like your giving that banjo 6 inches of fury. great photo m8. lol.

haha Lcstory.. nah that was bennyboy.. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifthey where the tame pics {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif*** Please note: all fish were released unharmed***[/color:12wu6g0v] {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif
  • 1 month later...