The first big ray i hooked was off the garden island causeway, fought it for around an hour on 20lb, got it to the surface but it eventually swam underneath the jetty and broke me off.I ended up catching quite a few on 10kg over the last 5 years for a bit of fun, then one day in feb this year, on a penn 950 spinfisher rod and reel and 50lb braid, i hooked up in the outerharbour channel (theres heaps in there) fought it for nearly 2 hours, didnt even get close to seeing that sucker and it nearly took all 350mtrs of that 50lb braid aswell. I figure it got deep into the channel and busted me off.Id have to say that most people will probably never catch any fish much bigger than a 100kg ray, so for fun they are great and heaps easily found locally aswell. A good option when the mulloway are hiding and you dont want to drive more than 20mins from home.

• 1 month later...

Hey this Ray hammered me for about 3 hours on light gear mate, Stenthouse Bay jetty was the location this time and the arms were smashed afterward, definately needed a few bevvies to refresh! We stayed on the jetty for the whole weekend and over that time we landed 12 rays, a mixture of smoothies and eaglies, all were released unharmed and gave us a thumbs up on the way out. size=482http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/vUBYa4c3__scan0006.jpg[/img]

Guest undertaker

Nice ray there tank ;)Hooked onto a few "car bonnet" sized ones at Stenhouse.....they just go and go and go.........love every minute of it.I like letting them go unharmed as well.......good onya! :icon_cool:

• 2 months later...

i know som locals in stansbury and there is a big smootie wat they cal BIG FRED its supose to have a broken gaff in it and squidjags etc, in it!! my mates dad fought it for hours once

hey fellas , i was in a titanic battle 2 weeks ago for nearly three hours with a monster off stansbury jetty hooked him at the very end and walked him down the jetty to get pinged 40 or 50 metres from shore ... i got some footage on my phone ill see about getting it up on the net . Was at stansbury again last night no hook ups just lots of broken crab nets
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...