Recommended Snapper setup...

Ok I've gotten myself a Snapper rod n reel (Shimano Baitrunner 4500B with Shimano 10Kg roughly 20lb Snapper rod).As I'm new to fishing for Snapper I'm not all that sure what I should be using in regards to line, sinker weights, rigs etcSo far due to some recommendations on here and also my own reading. I'll be going for a 20lb mono line (Braid can be a head ache I believe if you're not used to it). Does colour really matter here? Been reading about red line invisible to fish at so many feet etc I'll start be giving the Pt Noarlunga Jetty a go so I guess depth comes into it here.Sinkers... I've heard fish light, what weights are classed as light for Snapper fishing off a jetty. I've been fishing Bream in the Onka so light as light can be so far.What else can you recommend, any good baits, rigs etc.Be interesting to fish a little differently, can't wait.Cheers

I have read that about red being the fist colour to dissapear underwater, have also heard that it is BS as well!! Like most things in fishing you can get differing stories. With mono i have always stuck to the plain old clear colour, and reckon it its ok.If your fishing off a jetty with a berley trail you can try unweighted bait, such as a pillie or hunk of fresh sqiud no worries. Even a live bait unweighted could be the go. If you want to use a bit of weight a light running sinker might be better than a patternosta if the water isnt running too hard.Bring on the end of the month!!!

Ive read your post with interest as I can see your keen to get one which is absolutely awesome as there is not much tuffer than landing a metro jetty red.Hey they do get snapper off Port Norlunga Jetty but believe me you have to put in the hours and make sure you have a burley trail going.I for one will be down the most hot nights during the week and will be fishing near the end of the jetty. You need to fish near the yellow line of the marine park and cast out as far as you can. 20lb mono is exactly what I use. I have only got one 40cm fish so far but I have also landed a 12lb strongy as a by catch. During last season there was an 80cm fish caught by an asian guy and also a 66cm fish...I find a decent size ball sinker straight above a 3/0 gammakatsu circle is good with a half pillie just thrown as far as you can is a very effective method.If you fish primetimes which is the hour before through to the hour after high tides that are either first thing in the morning or near dark or fish Just on dark and first light throug to 8.00am you are a good chance of getting one eventually.Lets see what the year brings hey.I normally fish two rods and have a rapala soft tackle bag and if you find me I will be happy to fish with you and show you a few techniques to improve your chances.

Just a quickie on red line, under water red disapears from the colour spectrum first at around 3-4 meters depth, thats pure science. :ohmy: But wait! this does not mean your line will become invisible :( However it does mean that your line will look dull and tend to blend in with the background, but it still has a profile, so short of flurocarbon with the identical refractive index to the water you are fishing it would be about as good a choice as any and superior to some ;) Plus it would look pretty cool on the spool B)

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I'll be on the look out for you urhookedfish, being new to it all some techniques from someone with experience will definitely help get me on my way.And about the red line, I'd read about red being the first colour to disappear from the colour spectrum in water. I'm really glad to hear it's not complete rubbish as I was going for the cool factor with nice shiny red line on my spool. B)

But wait! this does not mean your line will become invisible :(

Correct! Water absorbs (scatters)different wavelengths' date=' affecting when colours drop out, and they go in the order of:RedOrangeYellowGreenBlueIndigoVioletAt about 10-15 metres (from memory...although it could be 10-15 feet...I forget) red is the first colour in the [strike']scrotum[/strike] spectrum to go. I believe this is because the longer wavelength at the infrared end of the spectrum is closest to the same frequency of the vibrating water molecules which absorbs the energy, although you'll have to google all the physics stuff which I've long forgotten to get a proper handle on this.Lemme see....something about the transverse covalency of the positive bondings reacting through dynamic energy transference. Positive ions directing frequentic vibration on the scale of b2 + c2 over mc-01 divided by the range of the colour spectrum in question, not forgetting to allow free radical hydrogen ions released from the water molecule H20..............NOW IT SHOULD BE PRETTY APPARENT THAT I HAVE NO BL**DY IDEA, SO LOOK IT UP YOURSELF! :P Regardless of the how, why or what for, this does NOT make the line invisible. Instead it will just appear black.Use a good monofilament line, as the Shimano baitrunners aren't the most braid friendly of reels, and bugger the colour I say!With the baitrunner, set the drag for about 1 kilo. When a fish takes the bait it will set the hook itself. A turn of the handle will then engage the main drag (set to one third of the breaking strain of your line (7lb ish) and this will embbed the hook solidly at the same time.Use a circle hook to get a good hookup in the corner of the mouth, and let the fun commence.