Very Old Fishing Rod

Picked up an old Butterworth rod the other day. Before my time-even had the wide white ceramic runners with the wire center lol. Ive decided to do a rebuild as the old girls in complete condition but was wondering if any one can direct me to where i could buy some rod lacquer to coat the old girl once shes all rubbed back and re-furbished B)

first things first...BUTTERWORTH.droooooooooooooooooooool... FANTASTIC rod... they later evolved into snyderglas....i know of a very special butterworth/snyderglas, which hasnt been used for about 20 yrs.. the bloke refuses to sell it, but its one of just 5 commemerating the partnership of butterworth/snyder.. and the thread is REAL gold.... it even comes with a certificate and signed by the partners.... would LOVE to get my hands on it... such a beutiful rod....when i redid my snyderglas rod earlier this year, i used ROD VARNISH form the tackle shop... it sealed the rod, and made it all nice and shiny...its holding up very well....

Just yesterday I was wondering about my 2 Butterworth surf reels' date=' had them since I was a kid (probs close on 20 years old) done minimal work, a 7000GT and a 8000Gt I think. Was wondering how good they are, nevr realy did much work with them to know[/quote']they will be one of the tuffest and best rods you will ever own.... same class as the snyderglas rods....ive got 3 snyders, and a butterworth... just in my family, there is 7 snyders, and 4 butterworths.and thats not an accident... all running alveys, cept for one of my snyders which is an overhead rod.not one has ever broken, and over the 20 plus yrs we have all owned them, they have done some serious fishing... if anything large takes my bait, ive got total trust in the snyder and the butterworth not to failll, something i cant say about some of the other name brand rods ive owned... some have groaned and creaked that much, i was just waiting for the snap...but im biased as hell towards the rods... and this is why...Posted ImagePosted Image
Isnt the clear 2 parts like araldite? it comes in 2 small bottles one is hardener from memory the other epoxy resin or somethig . im no expert rod builder . Mix' date='brush on and spin? not sure! but i did it to some of my rods , gave them a shine ,protection and looks good .[/quote']the varnishi use (erskins rod varnish) is a single affair... brush it on and rotate the rod for 12 hrs or so....the thread binding epoxy is a two part affair.... same deal..mix, brush and spin.

you got me worried now rocknev !! lol i brushed on the 2 part mixture and spun it for maybe 12 min BY HAND too!:huh: seemed to have worked ok B)

i hope it dried ok, toherwise it will slowly run around and blob up under the rop.i bought a spit rotator from hardware shop, made a plate to mount it, and ducttape the rod butt to it... its nice and slow turning, and is supported on a couple of rollers on the rod lentgh

Picked up an old Butterworth rod the other day. Before my time-even had the wide white ceramic runners with the wire center lol. Ive decided to do a rebuild as the old girls in complete condition but was wondering if any one can direct me to where i could buy some rod lacquer to coat the old girl once shes all rubbed back and re-furbished B)

Heres a pick of the old girl-the reel was corroded onto the rod but got it free today and after a service she ace. Check out the runners-and only 1 was badly worn-now thats quality :)

IMGP0016.JPG

IMGP0014.JPG

you got me worried now rocknev !! lol i brushed on the 2 part mixture and spun it for maybe 12 min BY HAND too!:huh: seemed to have worked ok B)
i hope it dried ok' date=' toherwise it will slowly run around and blob up under the rop.i bought a spit rotator from hardware shop' date=' made a plate to mount it, and ducttape the rod butt to it... its nice and slow turning, and is supported on a couple of rollers on the rod lentgh[/quote'']think i put heaps of hardner so it would dry quicker too.It was a few years back on a couple of penn sticks. They worked out fine so brushed some onto a couple of game rods as well.Im happy with the result so far , and even thinkin bout another coat.good thinkin rocknev ,thanks . plenty of spit motors gettin round this Greek house.;)