Fishnuts Snapper on fly video

finally figured out how to embed.@urhf. depends, most are hd these days, you just have to decide on how you want to store the footage, ie. avchd or sd card, internal, dv tape.. the list goes on, all have pros and cons.im getting a gopro hd hat cam shortly, films in 1080p and is slightly bigger than a pack of matches. their like 360$. cheapest hd camera around for sure.
hey uhf' date=' i just purchased a olympus "u tough" mental camera,14mp hd movies 10m water proof, 2m shock proof, 100kg crush proof, i got it for $420 but just saw it in the good guys for $395 so a bit spewin, gota shop around ay. ive allready taken it underwater wen i went spearfishing and its clear as and very nice videos.[/quote']Yeah Im pretty sure that thats what Dels new camera is. Its the she-hizzle thats for sure.I want one but cant afford. Doh

please explain :blink: :blink: :blink:a squid tied fly ?? I'm not sure what fly fishing has to do with the capture.can you explain the procedure to this novice please??the vid only shows reeling it in......Brett, just put your el-cheapo camera on video mode and always take your photos in the highest res.my $100 camera's have always done the job for me for computer sharing

please explain :blink: :blink: :blink:a squid tied fly ?? I'm not sure what fly fishing has to do with the capture.can you explain the procedure to this novice please??the vid only shows reeling it in......Brett' date=' just put your el-cheapo camera on video mode and always take your photos in the highest res.my $100 camera's have always done the job for me for computer sharing[/quote']Nah Rick, what Im really trying to achieve is first class photos and video.:cheer: :cheer: Im kind of at the stage now where Im spending big dollars during a snapper season and I want close to professional results. If I just use the video on my cybershot its not going to turn out even close to JW foootage. The High Definition is a major step forward when your viewing in full screen. B) B) Im hoping that once I upgrade to a Gopro or High Definition camera, Im going to be able to have TOP Qaulity video that I can watch on my 50Inch big screen and not having it look all pixellated (if thats a word).and Believe me the 50" is where you start to notice the quality of the footage.But your right in that I will still use my camera (cos I cant afford to lash out on the Olympus) to take pics but in high res mode, and then also buy a GOPRO cam to get some serious footage.

Taking nothing away from the Fly Video as it bloody awesome.:woohoo: But the DVD I burnt is A hell of a lot better quality than My video looks on YouTube. I think a lot has to do with downscaling the file for upload. And I was shocked as I only filmed bits with my iPhone.Point is if you want to share footage on the web, I think you'll need more expensive gear, but for your own DVD use, if you use the right software it'll look awesome. And that's on a 50" LCD.

please explain :blink: :blink: :blink:a squid tied fly ?? I'm not sure what fly fishing has to do with the capture.
Also not to take anything away from the capture as it's a ripper catch and achievement;) ,I sopose the flyfishing part is probably more so the rod/reel/line used, id'e imagine the technique is more like feather jigging? Please correct me if i'm wrong Fishnuts.cheers:)

Bit more too it than that but along the lines of all lure / soft plastics and any other type of fishing except for bait, it's all about decieving the fish to take the fly. With flies you can use them to represent the bait better than lures and they don't have scents put on them to give you the help of smell so it adds to the challenge. Rick, We missed the hook up on video but that can happen sometimes and yes it was a vid of just fighting with the fish so sorry if you were disapointed with the clip. I'll try harder next time. Here is what a squid fly looks like so you can understand better.Cheers DarrenPosted Image

how could one be dissapointed in watching that video ?? I was as excited as anyone else.what I was trying to find out is what you did to entice your snapper.I can only presume it was hooked near the bottom. or was it nearer the surface ?? if it was on the bottom, did the fly have a lot of weight in it to get to the depths ?may sound like stupid questions, but if I don't ask, I won't find out.

hey rick, we were fishing with sinking fly lines and quite deep th fly is unweighted, otherwise i might have another fly stuck in my hat 'Darren;) ' cst half the line out accross the current and let it swing and sink and also let more line out as it went. once at the estimated desired depth we would retrieve the line by hand with short erratic tugs to emulate a squid doing squidly things. you feel a bit of weight and you set the hook. whamo,, snapper on fly. easy in text form lolURHF dude i watch some SD vids i have made filmed in hd but downscaled so i can use some SD underwater clips too and they come up DVD quality on the 60". you will struggle to burn HD footage to a normal blank DVD you need blue ray, and you think the camers are expensive. $40 a dvd.. crazy. so all my stuff is burnt from HD to SD and it looks sweet. all the fishing dvds you have are all SD.

hey rick' date=' we were fishing with sinking fly lines and quite deep th fly is unweighted, otherwise i might have another fly stuck in my hat 'Darren;) ' cst half the line out accross the current and let it swing and sink and also let more line out as it went. once at the estimated desired depth we would retrieve the line by hand with short erratic tugs to emulate a squid doing squidly things. you feel a bit of weight and you set the hook. whamo,, snapper on fly. easy in text form lol[/quote']:cheer: :cheer: Awesome insight JW but can I ask is::cheer: :cheer: all of this is in a damn good burley trail??which I would think is totally required to get the fish feeding and to be half a chance of finding one half way up the water column??:blush:

There you go Rick, John explained it perfectly. The flies have no weight in them and that allows them to hover over the bottom and not snag up while the line sinks down to the bottom or as deep as we can get it to go. I was using an S8 sinking flyline which sinks at 9 inches a second so it gets to the depths very quickly and by casting across the current it also allows it to get down to the bottom before the line straightens. I hope that gives you an insight into how we go about it.URHF, Yes mate we fish a burley stream the same as you do when baitfishing. As you know you have to draw and congregate the fish to the back of the boat as it's alot harder to find them and drift flies through the school at this time of the year. I use fish pellets to get them into the area as this doesn't feed them, it just attracts them and baitfish and makes them hungry, then when they see the fly they eat ;) .I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you guys and one day you might have a crack at it yourselves because it is alot different and I think more satisfying than just soaking a bait. Anyway it is for me. Good luck.Cheers Darren