Main line to wind on knot...

I imagine you are expecting a lot of abrasion to the leader as 150lb is quite a lot.For this type of wind on you ought to be using DACRON and SUPA GLUE to do a decent splicing job. It's a pain in the arse, but if you really expect to need 150lb wind on, then this join is going to be critical to your success once hooked up :)If you can get away with say 100lb leader or less (as a general rule), then even a double uni knot or what ever else you want to try would be okay.Good luck with the trip mate, sounds like you guys are preparing for some serious angling action :):):):):)

haha sorry I wasn't thinking when i wrote this... I was supposed to write 100lb! Hahaha that time of year... But yeah you reckon a double uni would work? I can't wait to attempt that with 100lb :) Possibly a mildly stupid question but how many turns would you do in each? I generally do 8 turns in mono and 12 turns in braid but i've never delt with mone quite this thick before :(Cheers

There would be loads of different ways. I've never tried that cats paw, but it sounds like a cool name ;) I use UNI knots for all my light stuff, just really simple and strong especially if you wet the line first etc.BUT for the really heavy stuff, I would double your main line and use an ALBRIGHT knot to attach the leader. That's just me though, some of the guys that do this more regularly may use a different method. It's all about what gives you the confidence, as a lot of different knots ought to work. You will need something you can tie well and get to flow through the guides nicelyI have been practicing the 5 turn surgeon that ProJoe mentioned on here a while back and plan on giving it a crack on the 6lb gear soon, bit this is an impressive looking knot the few times I've done it right, and reckon it would also be very very good for your purposes. (if only I could tie the bloody thing lol)

If I read it properly you suggested using a wind on, if this is the case & you are using braid, tie a bimini twist to create a double then a tanaka loop to join the 2. See us instore if you don't know how to tie them, shall gladly show you but don't leave it till 23rd or 24th as half the population do to start their Xmas shopping.Finatic

That fg knot looks good but im not even gonna try it ...it looks way to complex for this bloodknot fisher!

well i'm pretty ham fisted and blind as a bat but i can still tie them especially this way. add an extra couple of half hitches and trim cheers brentonhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YczssyQtZZo&feature=related
  • 1 month later...

I think it really comes down to what your doing at the time, if its lumpy and your having troubles standing and my favourite is when you have just been blown away and need to get the line back into the water with your hands shaking like a madman....If your fishing Braid to leader with no Spliced loop then practice the Surgeon knot with 7-8 twists. Make sure you wet it when you pull it together and it should look even in the twist when its done. If there is Mono leader all on one side cut it and do it again. Its just practice. I use this for Everything from 4lb braid to 50lb braid and up to 100lb leader. After that its too hard to get the right lay in the line when closing it.If its light game and the leaders are up past 150lb then a Spider Hitch I have found is ample and connect this to the Loop of the wind on. You should pass it through at least 3 - 4 times. Its the quickest when your hands are shaking, the boats a rocking and there is a mad billfish sitting off the teaser waiting for a fresh gar to scoff. Used to do bimini's but just could not be stuffed when the above will hold just as good if tied right.That FG knot looks great, try doing that when your hands are wet and cold and the boat is rocking. Not that its a bad knot its just for me most situations demand the best holding and quickest tying knots.Cheers