Researcher querying artificial reef materials

I agree' date=' it is illegal and also don't condone it...maybe the whole topic is out of the guidelines of this forum by just talking about it if we have to sit on the fence [/quote']As I fully expected. I know the respect you hold for our waterways and our laws!I agree, this is a touchy subject. If it begins heading down a stray path, like others before it, it may be subject to locking or deletion. We do however attempt to provide as much freedom of speech as practicable, and make all attempts not to intervene unless neccessary.

We try guys, that's all we can do, and I hope we do it fairly and consistently for you all, with a minimum of interference and fuss.I'm also pleased to say, that for the best part, things normally tend to run pretty smoothly around here, and that is testament to you all! I'm just clown, who's been given a bit of responsibility to try and do the right thing, and what is best for everyone here!

Apologies for interupting the topic, and I will attempt to be as brief as possible.This thread and the subject matter has been under discussion in the background, and we have also received a concern from a member with valid worries that the content of this thread may actually provide ammunition for lawbreakers considering construction of their own illegal drops......a concern which I myself echo.I must stress, that we here at strikehook, consider this thread to be of use to a valid research project upon request, hence considered a worthwhile topic for discussion.We must stress, that the information and input provided here, is in no way intended for, or provided for use by any member or site guest contemplating such actions. The information is provided ONLY as hypothetical discussion, heresay and rumour, as a method of assisting a request for valid purposes.On a more personal note, could I request of the poster (withoutchips) that should time be permitting, he/she in return also provide us and the membership a little more background into this project, ie: methodology and envisaged possible benefits this research project may provide to the future of our fishery and resource, as a means of us fishermen further understanding how our input will be put to use, and may possibly benefit us all.Once again, my apologies for the interruption, and I trust this thread may continue problem free, without angst or concern.Ranger
W provide us and the membership a little more background into this project' date=' ie: methodology and envisaged possible benefits this research project may provide to the future of our fishery and resource, as a means of us fishermen further understanding how our input will be put to use, and may possibly benefit us all.[/quote']Been wondering the smae a bit myself Ranger :huh:

Hi all, my project is still in the development phases and I am just searching for more information on materials. I am interested in artficial reefs for a number of reasons; They are often comprised of materials that are alien to the marine environments and present new opportunities for invertebrates and fishes to colonise the structure to some extent. Artificial reefs can either have a community similar to a natural reef or a community vastly different in its diversity and abundances. Then there is the issue of attraction (attracting larvae and fish away from natural structures) or production (creating a community from scratch that would not have existed if not for the artificial reef). The answers to this are probably going to depend on a multitude of variables. What I want to look at is the effects of materials on reef development and whether this development will have any negative effects on naturual reef communities. What follows is my and my supervisors initial thoughts on our approach and methodology For InvertebratesSo what I am thinking of doing is initially deploying settlement plates comprised of materials commonly used in artificial reef construction as well as a natural surface (control) on racks nearby a natural reef and possibly an artificial reef (money permitting). There will be plates at two (5 and 10) different distances to look at larval dispersal effects with distance.For FishesI want to also look at reef fish assemblages on both natural and artificial reefs along with invertebrate community structres, to do this I will probably use a Baited underwater remote video (BURV) system and analyse 5-10minute footage intervals for fish attraction...if possible I will try to do a Visual underwater survey as well to look for any smaller fishes when i start to take photoquadrats for the invertebrate communities on the reef structures.End results...(ideal lol) A better understanding on the behaviour of different materials in the gulf in regards to the reef fish and invertebrate communities.Also in other states (WA, NSW, QLD and Vic) they are begining to deploy experimental concrete artificial reefs mostly based on the fishery data from Japan/Korea and the USA. I have spoken with fisheries victoria and they deployed their reefs in port Phillip Bay two years ago and are analysing the data they have collected so it looks like there is now a trend again for governments to be involved in artificial reefs (besides tourism reefs such as the Hobart etc) If anyone is interested in more background and methodology I have a research proposal due later on in late Feb or march, this will be more complete and indepth and I can post it online herecheers again for the help and discussion!

Very interesting WC. Well done B) I saw something similar being done in Qld where a number of "plates" bolted together with gaps between were left in reef arteas for a period of time, then retreived to count the numbers of different organisms found. The number of unknow species was staggering :ohmy: Goos luck with it all.PS can you let me know first if any new artifcial reefs get done off the Metro area pls :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...