Researcher querying artificial reef materials

Hey people, I'm a marine biologist doing a phD at flinders interested in artficial reefs, in particular snapper drops and what people have heard other people are using as materials. I want to know so i can potentially test the effect of different materials on the communities attaching to them. So far it seems carbodies, whitegoods and milky crates are popular. If anyone has any rumours that would be heaps helpful.

Hey people' date=' I'm a marine biologist doing a phD at flinders interested in artficial reefs, in particular snapper drops and what people have [u']heard[/u] other people are using as materials. I want to know so i can potentially test the effect of different materials on the communities attaching to them. So far it seems carbodies, whitegoods and milky crates are popular. If anyone has any rumours that would be heaps helpful.

Have you watched "Dexter"????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Guest boys day out
:laugh: :laugh:

Hey people' date=' I'm a marine biologist doing a phD at flinders interested in artficial reefs, in particular snapper drops and what people have [u']heard[/u] other people are using as materials. I want to know so i can potentially test the effect of different materials on the communities attaching to them. So far it seems carbodies, whitegoods and milky crates are popular. If anyone has any rumours that would be heaps helpful.

Have you watched "Dexter"????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've wittnessed a boat heading out one night loaded with wooden pallets.........he may have just been taking a delivery of goods though! :blink: I recall the episode of a minivan found floating in North Haven marina one morning, which a couple of clowns had tried to tow out with a little tinny.The obvious choice might be old boats!I've heard "rumour" of a local fisherman with a backyard conveniently holding a number of shopping trolleys!People are dumb! I think if they recon it'll sink, they'll attempt to use it!I've heard the tyre module type reefs aren't considered the best material, and an anchor snagged on these can be difficult to remove due to the flex in the rubber.I think I once copied a previous report into artificial reefs and suitable materials. You have no doubt already found this in your research, but if you haven't, just let me know and I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Ranger wrote:I've wittnessed a boat heading out one night loaded with wooden pallets.........he may have just been taking a delivery of goods though! :blink:I have heard that wooden Pallets are the best material to be dropped to form a drop for KG whiting. The reason being is worms burrow into the rotting wood and the whiting come to feed on them.Although Im obviously no marine biologist so this is only what Ivee been told:laugh: :laugh: .

Mate, you know I don't have a life, and I've already licked all the stamps in my collection, so I collect reams of all this sorta stuff to warm the cockles of my heart on those long lonely winter eves!It gives the cockroaches some nice nesting material too!:PI used to get right in to the political side of fishing. Reading, researching, calling politicians, writing letters, trying to represent the views of common anglers, etc, etc, and those who remember me from years back would recall how vocal and determined I was about it.Thses days, like many others, I've dumped it all in the "too hard" basket, due to what an apathetic, unorganised, ill advised and arguementative bunch we are around this country as a whole. I leave it to others now, and I just wanna enjoy a little fishing before I'm too old to lift my walking frame!

Hey people' date=' I'm a marine biologist doing a phD at flinders interested in artficial reefs, in particular snapper drops and what people have [u']heard[/u] other people are using as materials. .

It might be easier to ask what People DONT use :whistle: Wheelie bins come to mind, old baths, pretty much everything and anything :huh:

Not knowing anything about this topic, I would say that most items that can be easily put inside the hull of your boat and are not easily seen by others at the ramp would be preferable. I guess people placing artificial reefs wouldnt want to load the boat up too much as well, so any items with medium weight that will sink pretty much in the spot they were dropped is what Im guessing would be used?I also think that items that can be quickly manouvered into position for dropping would also be a pre-requisite also.But sorry, I guess this doesnt help answer your question about the materials used.I guess these people also have to factor in the swim time needed by their particular material before growth starts to appear and all crustaceans and bait fish start inhabbiting the structure. That is why Im only guessing that plastic is the prefered material over metal, and it would make sense that Plastic attracts growth faster than metal having to rust away etc.Ive heard that an artificial reef made from Plastic will hold snapper faster than a metal reef.Plastic you can expect fish within a year.While metal artificials you can expect fish to aggregate in approximately 2 years.But because plastic is so light, Im guessing that concrete needs to be added to avoid it drifting off position.:woohoo:

I guess along with only materials, the subject runs much deeper.You also need to factor in substrate composition, depth, tidal action, traffic, pollutants, and much much more.Even the wreck of the Norma I believe from memory is two wrecks not one. The original was the vessel which sunk, the second is the wreck which ran into it. And I'd like to be corrected on that if I'm mistaken.

Yeah there are plenty of factors that can affect the development of a community on an artificial, rangers right there. The big ques is always if it is 'producing' a new community that might not have otherwise existed or 'attracting' one from a natural reef... this is still hotly debated by scientists (keeps us off the streets) the truth probably lies in the middle somewhere and probably also depends on what fish, what size etc. Knowing what the best substrate is that can replicate a natural community is helpful so testing this would be useful...though from these posts people have heard all sorts of stuff being used. Metal carbodies are 'out of fashion' cos they obviously rust away...plus unless people are going to the added expense of cleaning them up ;) they can potentially harm the marine environment , tires to are not popular due to their habit of untieing themselves from the neat tetrahedrons and then 'bulldozing' the seafloor until they get buried (Florida had 30000 loose after a hurricane)...concrete and steel prefab are whats used these days along with the odd ship. But the materials that people have come up with will make an interesting series of experiments, cheers :lol:

Heard of a friend of a friend of his brother-in-laws wifes cousin who got hold of "dozens" of 6 foot lengths of aluminium angle.......1" x 1"..........spent a couple of hours in the back shed,strategically drilling 3/16th holes in them all.They all fit inconspicuously into the hull of a boat,taking up minimal room..........along with a "bucket full" of 3/16" gutter bolts and a screwdriver and spanner,went offshore to begin construction.Eiffel Tower like apparently,around 3m tall and a base 2.5m square......Frog's would've been proud;or so the story goes.

:laugh: :laugh: Ive asked my builder to build my new house at location 138 19 254 34 43 292I know things will be slightly wet down there' date=' but I just want to live closer to the snapper!:laugh:;)[/quote']Don't mess with me UHF I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.....Posted ImageDo I bring a platter of pilchards to the house warming, or is everyone else bringing that ;). :P
:laugh: :laugh: Ive asked my builder to build my new house at location 138 19 254 34 43 292I know things will be slightly wet down there' date=' but I just want to live closer to the snapper!:laugh:;)[/quote']Don't mess with me UHF I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.....Posted ImageDo I bring a platter of pilchards to the house warming' date=' or is everyone else bringing that ;). :P[/quote']I was going to drop my reef pick down his chimney
If it sinks.. it's going to be turned into a reef. At least steel etc would rust out leaving an exterior of natural coral' date=' barnacles etcShame on people using plastic stuff! that is an environmental disaster because it never breaks down :angry: :angry:[/quote']Shame on people using ANY stuff without a permit to do so! It is still illegal in this state!
If it sinks.. it's going to be turned into a reef. At least steel etc would rust out leaving an exterior of natural coral' date=' barnacles etcShame on people using plastic stuff! that is an environmental disaster because it never breaks down :angry: :angry:[/quote']Shame on people using ANY stuff without a permit to do so! It is still illegal in this state!
But it is okay for the Govt to drop a big hunk of metal out off Wirinna and call it an historic wreck so fishos can't utilise it... what about the ships of the same class being sold overseas for scrap value.. if they are historical why were they turned into scrap. Not many people dive this "Hysterical" wreck anyway as the tide rips through there. What about the Govt polluting the Gulf with outflow from the Desal Plant etc etc... it's all very hypocrytical in my view

But it is okay for the Govt to drop a big hunk of metal out off Wirinna and call it an historic wreck so fishos can't utilise it.

Apparently, yes it is, because they make the rules, and personally, I tend to agree that it does at times seem hypocritical on the surface.We don't have to agree with it, we can discuss it, we can challenge it, we can attempt to have it changed, we can jump up and down about it, but as I have mentioned so many times of late, while in discussions on this website, we are not at liberty to discuss any form of illegal activities.Making artificial reefs of our own, without a permit, is still illegal to my knowledge, as is fishing a historical wreck, exceeding bag limits, taking undersized fish, selling our catch, and any number of other activities. Until legislation changes, I will continue do the job I am here for, because if I DON'T the website may well be held liable for promoting these discussions or condoning illegal activities, and you would ALL then find yourself having to find another place to hold your discussions!This subject is a merely questioning what materials we are aware of, which may have been used in the past, that we may know of, or materials which may "hypothetically" be suitable for the purpose, to assist someone in their research project. A project which may well prove beneficial to us all in future times.......nothing more.If any of you are there are involved in manufacturing and dropping your own artificial reefs, which I would highly doubt, I do not wish to know about it, and discussion of it is NOT welcome here! I feel quite confident in saying that I believe the members here are above that though, and understand the need for such legislation, whether they choose to agree with it or not!