Caught a fat 25cm tommy friday and compared to the rest of the good sized tommies I got this was a horse, this got me thinking about tommies as apparently they top out at around 40cm and my PB went 34cm :woohoo: fought like a demon, and was one of the best looking fish I've ever seen.Regretably I have no pics :( I rate this in my top 5 captures and apart from that bad boy I've never seen a tommy even give 30cm a nudge.Interested to hear any tales of enormous tommies, would love to see pics cause they are awesome looking fish (like super hero versions of regular tommies) and someone may be able to point me in the direction of monster tommies ;)

I used to get some big tommies over in W.A fishing for Salmon around Yallingup way (near Margaret river). Regularly catch em to just over 30cm. And the fight like hell :)Never seen a 40cm model though, but that would be awesome.Here's a pic I found on the web. I assume they are tommies but, no black tips on their tails and the eyes seem a bit small... They ain't salmon though.... Or are they??? :blink:http://alpha.lovefishing.com.au/uploads_user/1000/4/304.jpg

at anglers choice theres a pic of a 42cm (i think) Austrlian Herring (might aswell use there propper name) it looks a fair thumper of a fish.. i know alot of my Oz Herring from Elliston were pushing the 30cm plus mark...

That 0.843kg fish was caught by a bloke called Rex Donnithorn at Brown's Beach in the 70s. It was during a Western Districts club comp. Someone at the weigh in pointed out that it was a Tommy Rough and not a salmon.

at anglers choice theres a pic of a 42cm (i think) Austrlian Herring (might aswell use there propper name) it looks a fair thumper of a fish.. i know alot of my Oz Herring from Elliston were pushing the 30cm plus mark...

That 0.843kg fish was caught by a bloke called Rex Donnithorn at Brown's Beach in the 70s. It was during a Western Districts club comp. Someone at the weigh in pointed out that it was a Tommy Rough and not a salmon.
nah that aint the one... there was one that got caught off victor way... only from a few years ago...

me and my mate found a dead one washed up on the beach at Pt Vincent when we were young, we could not get over the size of this beast as we had been catchin 20-25cm models for the last 3 days. Would of easily gone 40cm and FAT we thought it was a salmon at first, it had a hook in its mouth connected to one of those pre made gar and tommie float rigs you get at any good YP servo lol. Still to this day have not seen one that even comes close to this.

I agree with snake.If you want to catch the biggest tommies in SA go to fowlers bay Jetty at night.Fish it during the day it is disappointing but when it goes dark I've never fished a better jetty in my life and Ive spent 1000s of hours on jetties.

i totally agree, as for size and different species caught of this jetty i consider this the best goddam jetty in the whole world!!! well maybe not the whole world but damn close too it!!