livie help in onka?

Went for a mully fish today guys and got my first onka mully, it went 50cm then swam off to grow a bit bigger for me next time.B) caught it on my luvias certate combo with 20lb braid so no problems there, also used a 3/0 circle with a 20lb flurocarbon leader. Nicley hooked in the corner of the jaw. love those things.My question is tho....how and where do people get their livies, i mean i had no problem getting trumpeters or small bream, i only got 1 salmon trout and thats wat i got the mully on, people tell me trumpeters and small bream are awsome baits but i could not even get a sniff on em,i would love to know if there is a better way or place to get mullet or salmon trout as i think they do the job better, do people catch them around the mouth and then transport them to their mully spot or do u just get them where ur fishing with different bait or bearly or whatever, any info would be great as i can only catch thousands of trumpies and small bream, i think i would have done alot better with ST's and or mullet.this was also my second only mullie ever, as i caught another smaller one at salt creek a while ago, so pretty keen to catch more as they put up a brilliant fight.cheers guys, looking forward to your help if you have any.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you SMALL BREAM are good bait, because there is no such thing unless you are breaking the law! 28cm is legal Bream in SA.I Love my Bream and return em all big and small. But if you catch a 28cm, then that's your business what you decide to do.Hopefully JimboJames might be able to help you with sourcing your live bait around the Onk for Mully Sessions... He's the Onk Mulloway Guru on here ;)

Don't listen to anyone that tells you SMALL BREAM are good bait' date=' because there is no such thing unless you are breaking the law! 28cm is legal Bream in SA.I Love my Bream and return em all big and small. But if you catch a 28cm, then that's your business what you decide to do.Hopefully JimboJames might be able to help you with sourcing your live bait around the Onk for Mully Sessions... He's the Onk Mulloway Guru on here ;)[/quote']Good advice there Jack was thinking the same.( Small Bream thats a no no )

cheers fellas i will try around the mouth, yeah not really into bream so if i caught even a huge one id still let him go, i thought the same about the small bream, woulndt even consider using them as a bait for mullies as they are illegal to use and they seem to be much spinier than say a mullet. they just were anoying me as thats all i was catchin apart from heaps of trumpies too. and they were stealing all my bait.cheers

I dont know if this helps you (because ive never caught a Mulloway in the Onk), but when we fish Westlakes and Port etc, the jetty is a good option, because Tommies and Gar are usually not too much of a task in the summer, and are good bait for mulloway. Im no Mulloway expert, but my suggestion would be top four live bait;1. Gar2. Mullet3. Salmon Trout4. TommiesPeople also swear by trumpeters and live squid, but ive never tried em. Some surface burley and a pencil float with small hooks is my angle when looking for live bait.. easier in summer, but in winter, the Salmon trout are a god send, cos i cant catch anything else ;)Cheers mate and top effort on the 50cm model :)

Hey fella . Well done on your first onka mully . They are a good fighting fish and are a lot of fun . It is hard sourcing decent live bait . If i have time i will sometimes do both and catch live bait early else where , transport them in esky with a aerator and then later when i go down to the onk spend an hour or three finding out spots for more live bait for my well . Mullet and salmon trout do work well for mulloway but then the bream also love smashing them and then they sometimes don't last long enough . You tend to sift through a lot of under sized mullet and salmon trout to get anything legal . And you always need a few of them for a good sesh . Trumpeters tend to get left alone which is why i prefer using them but they can be hit and miss and you only need a couple . I love catching salmon trout on HB lures along the edges of sand banks . Mullet are surprisingly close to the shore and on the top surface and trumpeters tend to hang out on the bottom of the channels an not in the holes . Good luck and try not to get a fever :lol:

As a kid, I used to fish the onka weekly. Used to get Mullet, ST's and the odd YFW mainly downstream from jarrod rd thru to the mouth. Under the comercial rd bridge, adjacent to the foot bridge and between the footbridge and mouth on the Eastern bank all good spots.Never caught a mullie in there tho

A 25-30cm live mullet for a metre long Mully is like a free Grand Angus Burger for us guys. Every Big Mully Ive seen caught has been on Live Mullet and all of the smaller fish Ive caught around 80cm have been on a whole Pillie in creed mouths caught on running rig.Live trumpeter would also be killer as well.well done on your first Mully LF. If your in an area where you are catching them, its likely there is a few more around.I have seen that the period from just on dark to an hour after dark is very productive when live baiting.

awsome info there guys, cant wait to go put it too some practice and spending alota time chasing these guys as putting in the hour will see the best results. and i think i may just have that mully fever u guys talk about. lol I will report any success i have asap.cheers guys and thanx again for the info, and tight lines.

Guru , God ? dont think so . Just spend more time on the onk than most , and even then i only catch a mully every now and then . If a fella went down the onk 6 times a year and caught a mully every second time there doin better than me ? Law of averages really ? If you ever want to catch up for a sesh tho Lord fisher or more detail , pm me fella and i will see if i can point you in the right direction .